Tires Rear ballast

/ Rear ballast #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
I am thinking about adding windshield washer fluid to my rear tires but have a question hopefully you guys can help with. I don't necessarily want to go the full fill (48 gal.) which would be about 400 lbs per tire (14.9x26 ag tires). My main goal is for a little additional stability on the hills around my place and I thought if I only fill to just above the axle it would keep all the weight below the center of gravity. I'm thinking about 35 gallons per tire, which would be about 300 pounds. Anyone see any downsides to this thinking?

/ Rear ballast #2  
The traditional fill is 75% but I don't see any harm filling to 50% other than the wheels won't be submerged. As you drive around, the inside of the wheel goes in and out of the fluid. Once you park, the top half is now exposed to air in the tire. That could promote rust to form on that part of the wheel.
I think the reason to fill to 75% is a submerged wheel can't rust without oxygen.

/ Rear ballast #3  
Personally I would go 75% and not worry about it. I run that on my tractor and finish mow with it. I don't turn sharp and don't mow wet. No issues thus far. You will like the added stability. I would think that the added weight from the lower part of the tire will more than offset the added weight for the top 25% fill of the tire. Are you having stability issues now?

/ Rear ballast #4  
Personally I would go 75% and not worry about it. I run that on my tractor and finish mow with it. I don't turn sharp and don't mow wet. No issues thus far. You will like the added stability. I would think that the added weight from the lower part of the tire will more than offset the added weight for the top 25% fill of the tire. Are you having stability issues now?

I agree with this....any problems with tearing up grass will be due more to the type of tire (R-1's) then the weight.
One caveat...if you have a septic tank and drain field...the weight is more a factor than the tire type.

/ Rear ballast #5  
They're filling ag tires to a lot less than 75% in a lot of cases now. I'm not exactly sure the reason why, but i think lots of tires on big tractors are only 30-40% filled.

/ Rear ballast
Not currently having any stability issues but more margin is always good. I was thinking the tears had tubes but I need to double check. If there are tubes then rust shouldn't be an issue. The tractor doesn't really tear the grass up now unless turning tight in 4x4 or if it's real wet.

/ Rear ballast #7  
I think you are splitting hairs.

I would, and did, fill my rear tires on the larger tractor to about 75% with WW fluid, years ago. Do it once and be done with it.

My opinion anyway.

At the end of the day, do what you think is best for your particular situation.

Bill

/ Rear ballast
Me splitting hairs, making a simple thing harder than it has to be???? Sounds like you've been talking to my wife. Lol. I live about 10 minutes from seven springs (if you know where that is) so that is the hills I'm dealing with.

I was thinking only filling to the axle would help more on hills than going to the full 75% but it sounds like the consensus is go for full. Luckily I bought enough ww fluid to fill all the way so I'm covered.

/ Rear ballast
I bought the ww fluid last night and got enough to put the full 48 gallons in each tire. Now just trying to decide if I'm going to put it all in or give a partial fill a try. I looked at my tires and they appear to be tubed.
For fun here is a picture of the ww fluid. IMG_2161.JPG

Can anyone confirm that these are tube tires?
IMG_2162.JPG
IMG_2164.JPG

/ Rear ballast #10  
Never fill a tire more than 75%. A pneumatic tire uses air to compress & absorb shock. If the tire is 100% full of uncompresable liquid that shock won't be absorbed, it will get transmitted straight to the tire & blow it off the rim.

Just covering the top of the rim is 75%. Keeping the rim covered helps prevent corrosion as well. Corrosion is much more likely if the rim is partially exposed to air.