1968 ford 4000

/ 1968 ford 4000 #1  
Tractor
jd 1070
Hi guys i am looking at a 1968 ford 4000 gas tractor with front blade any advise woulfd be great thanks art

/ 1968 ford 4000 #2  
Personally, I believe that the Ford x000 and x600 series tractors were some of the best ever built. That being said, this tractor is OLD. 1975 was the last year of production. ('62 was the first)

In particular, the downside to that gas engine would be:
Fuel consumption. It will burn a lot more gas than the same tractor with a diesel engine.
Longevity of the gas engine is considerably shorter than the diesel.
Old school electrical system. Unless it's been converted, that model will likely have a generator instead of an alternator and a points and condenser ignition.
Carburetors were notorious for overflowing and flooding the engine.

I'm not sure about the 4000, but on the 2000 and 3000, power steering was an OPTION! You really don't want to drive one of these beasts without P/S.

On the plus side, Old School is not always bad. There are bunches of these tractors still working fine.

/ 1968 ford 4000 #3  
Is that the 4 cylinder or the 3 cylinder model? I have a 4 cylinder gas Ford 4000 and like it. It is light (easy to trailer), starts very easily in the winter and has plenty of hp. If it is a 4 cyl, it doesn't have a live PTO so you will just need to add an overrunning clutch to your PTO stub if you use a bush hog.

A down side of it being light is that traction isnt great. Another down side is that the 1st gear is almost too fast for using a 3 point tiller. The turning radius is not that great either for a tractor with such a short wheelbase. Yes- the carb is tough to adjust properly. I have to fine tune the mix with the choke.

I added power steering to mine and it has been converted to 12 volt (alternator).

/ 1968 ford 4000 #4  
It should be the 3 cylinder version. I have never been a fan of Gas Engine Tractors but they still do the purpose they were designed for. Be sure to check out the Tank and Carburetor as the new fuel mixture is not friendly to old equipment and you may want to add lead ingredients to cushion the valve seats. That series tractor is almost bullet proof whit any kind of reasonable care.
Post pics and the folks here will be quick to point out any problem areas

/ 1968 ford 4000 #5  
It should be the 3 cylinder version. I have never been a fan of Gas Engine Tractors but they still do the purpose they were designed for. Be sure to check out the Tank and Carburetor as the new fuel mixture is not friendly to old equipment and you may want to add lead ingredients to cushion the valve seats. That series tractor is almost bullet proof whit any kind of reasonable care.

I have a 1970 Ford 3400 TLB with a 3 cyl. carburetored Ford gas engine.
I bought it 30 years ago with 1350 hrs, and it now has 1850 hrs.
I have added electronic ignition.
Because automotive gasoline without ethanol is not sold in Ma. I use 100LL (low lead) from the local airport.
It is a bit of a nuisance to get, and it is expensive, but I usually don't use more that 25 gallons each year.
I also use 100LL for my 8N, chain saw mix, and backup generator.

/ 1968 ford 4000 #6  
Adding a petronix electronic ignition to one of these old tractors is as easy as installing new points and eliminates having to mess with it again.
Keep the fuel clean and use an additive /stabilizer and don't let it sit unused for years at a time and they will run just fine.
If its still a generator a 1 wire alternator conversion can be done easily by anyone who can do simple repairs
Power steering isn't always that simple to install but I never had any problem going without. Simply makes you stronger in the long run and we need to stop the trend of being a pencil neck weakling in this country anyway:rolleyes:

/ 1968 ford 4000 #7  

gas engine 4 cyl I prefer, 3 cyl diesel engine I prefer.

63-64 are completely different 000 machines than 65-75 000 machines.

To the OP, what are your specific questions.. and what are the particulars of this machine.