Mowing walk behind flail mower

/ walk behind flail mower #1  

jaws

I'm trying ti find a walk behind flail mower, but can't seem to find anyone who builds or sells them. Can anyone help?

/ walk behind flail mower #2  
Why would you want a walk-behind flail mower? Not the most common piece of equipment manufactured.

A company called Middlesworth makes/used to make a walk-behind flail mower.

/ walk behind flail mower #3  
Growing up in the nursery business, We had a Mott "Hammer Head" flail mower. It was about a 30" walk behind, with a 10hp Wisconsin engine. It worked great, both on finish lawns and light brush. It's nose with the flails protruding could reach under shrubs etc.
Unfortunatley I threw our 30+ year old one out a couple of years ago when my Mom died. I haven't seen one in years.

Andy

/ walk behind flail mower
gatorboy,
I have a lot of uneven and somewhat rocky land to mow. the rotory mowers tend to break when they hit the hard spot,ie. rocks. The kabota ride mower I use won't make it into some of the tight spots. Any other suggestions beside the flail?

/ walk behind flail mower #5  
I have a walk behind sickle mower. 4hp, it works well. Adjust the skids & it rides over rocks & such. Kind of amazing how it will cut a small pine as long as it will fit in between the teeth.

/ walk behind flail mower #6  
You might want to try something like a DR Trimmer. Not a flail mower but might do the job. I bought one about a year ago when I got tired of trying to do the job with string trimmers. I have the 15 HP model and it will cut up to about 1 1/2 diameter. So far it has worked great and works side hills with a pressurized oil system. There are other brands out there as well, Billygoat for one. Just a thought.

/ walk behind flail mower #8  
You can probably pick up an old but serviceable Gravely walkbehind with the 30' bushhog deck for a few $hundred on ebay. Anything that I can fit under that deck on mine is annihilated and it's very manueverable. It uses a bushog-weight blade (about 3/8 thick), so it can deal with a few rocks (concrete blocks, old barbed wire, dead cats, etc.) I'm kinda surprised that I've never seen a flail attachment for the old Gravelys. I'm in the process now of rebuilding a 60" sickle for mine. Sickles are also available in 42" for pretty cheap.

Attachments

• 421389-Gravely.jpg
    421389-Gravely.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 15,351
   / walk behind flail mower #9  
sorry, 30" (inch)!

/ walk behind flail mower #10  
I know of two walk behind flail mowers. Orec America, a Japanese company, makes one with dual hydrostatic drive and Wisconsin Engineering in The Czech Republic makes the "Buffalo Flail" attachment for their "Hotshot Multitool" which is hydrostatic drive with a lockable differential. Both appear to be good quality machines.