Block Heater

/ Block Heater #12  
Yep, the magnetic type is pretty much a waste of time and money. I let someone talk me into buying on many years ago, never was able to see any benefit at all from using it, even if left on all night. Haven't used it since, stuck it on the end of my toolbox about 6 years ago and it's hasn't been off since.

/ Block Heater #13  
I find that my lower rad hose heater works great. Of course I also have a block and battery heater...about 1000watts total

/ Block Heater #14  
The best location is right on the store shelf.

smiling..... You beat me to it. I bought one for my 3020 years ago, used it once, put it on the shelf and it is still there.

/ Block Heater #16  
So why does the mag heater work on the log splitter and not on a tractor?

I used one on the oil pan of a two cylinder air cooled Diesel and it seemed to work for me. I mean, the head was warm, and not hot as it might be on a liquid cooled engine with a block heater. But, if you have glow plugs and a healthy engine, that should be good enough.

/ Block Heater #17  
The KATZ company has made freeze plug heaters since time began. I have put them in my cars before. I have one dealer installed on my Massey. One thing I remember about those is that you need to be sure to locate them in the plug they tell you to use. Otherwise sometimes it makes them not fit due to cylinder clearance and such so be careful. The one I have now works great . Starts right up any temp

/ Block Heater #18  
So why does the mag heater work on the log splitter and not on a tractor?

I used one on the oil pan of a two cylinder air cooled Diesel and it seemed to work for me. I mean, the head was warm, and not hot as it might be on a liquid cooled engine with a block heater. But, if you have glow plugs and a healthy engine, that should be good enough.

It's just that the block or inline heaters work so much better. Air cooled is just a little different.