Block Heater

/ Block Heater #1  

bikerzing

Tractor
1970 John Deere 1020
If I were to purchase a magnetic block heater, where would be the best place to locate it? Oil pan? Have you had any success with these? I considered one for the frost plug, but I was worried it wouldn't fit. These seem pretty easy and possibly have other uses.

/ Block Heater #2  
If I were to purchase a magnetic block heater, where would be the best place to locate it? Oil pan? Have you had any success with these? I considered one for the frost plug, but I was worried it wouldn't fit. These seem pretty easy and possibly have other uses.

Personally I tried this and it didn't work very well. The regular factor type block heater that goes into the core plug is a better way to go. They are generally easy to install and work well to heat the cooling jacket and that makes for easy starts. A lower rad hose heater would be a distant second choice.

/ Block Heater
Thanks Jerry. Forgive my ignorance, but what and where is the core plug?

/ Block Heater #4  
I could never figure out why these things were so expensive. Otherwise I would have a couple on hand. I guess it would be nice to have one on the oil pan, and a block heater.

I should have one on my loader hydraulic tank.

/ Block Heater #5  
When my block heater failed I tried the magnetic one that I had purchased at a yard sale.
After 24 hrs the tractor still would not fire up.
I had better luck heating the oil pan with my plumbers torch.

My 2 cents is measure carefully the frost plug opening and buy a proper block heater.
If U are in colder climates most auto parts will have listings.
Installation is really easy and takes less than 1/2 hr.
Simply drive a screwdriver into the frost plug and pry out the disc. Grease the O ring on the plug heater and tighten the plug in place.
Helps to drain the coolant first naturally unless you plan to replace it. Actually you only need to drain about half as frost plugs are about 1/2 way up the engine block.

/ Block Heater #6  
Magnetic are useless , Get a proper one .

/ Block Heater
Thanks for the information. You make this sound very easy and I think I will take this approach. One problem I have had is actually locating the frost plug. Maybe I am looking on the wrong side of the block? All engines have these right? And this is threaded?

/ Block Heater #8  
If it is a 1020, there ain't no frost plug
Need locate the lowest coolant port or drain on the left side of tbe block. Then locate the highest coolant port on the engine , on the engine side of the thermostat.
Install an external tank heater.
Do not run the hot line downhill and do not route the cold line uphill.
1500watts will heat the engine from stone cold to warm in Less than an hour.

Last edited:
   / Block Heater #9  

The best location is right on the store shelf.

/ Block Heater #10  
Thanks Jerry. Forgive my ignorance, but what and where is the core plug?

Core plugs are used to remove the sand from the block casting mold and then a pressed in steel plug ( kinda' looks like a bottle cap) is inserted to retain the coolant in the water jacket.You remove this with a punch and the block heater fits in the hole.