Starting at -10F

/ Starting at -10F #1  

madhouse

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT230
So I'm a bone-head and forgot to plug in my tractor in advance yesterday; I needed to put a new round bale in the feeder and was on limited time.

I gave the glow plugs their due time and turned Bobbi's key, with each slow revolution of the engine I heard her mutter a distinct "F U"! Just when I was about to give up there was a little sputter followed by the hacking of a four-pack-a-day-of-Camel-filterless-60yo after making the brisk walk from the car into the bingo parlor. A couple minutes of extremely black exhaust - to the point I was afraid there wouldn't be enough oxygen left in the air to sustain poor Bobbi - were followed by the exhaust turning to a dark grey.

After a few minutes to let her wake I sped Bobbi up to 1800 rmp and slowly headed out the the hay pile, slowly flexing her joints, listening to her whine the whole way.

The whole process took about an hour - never idling her down - the temp gauge didn't budge and the exhaust never cleared completely. The temp dipped to -16F when I woke up this morning. This weather is not fit for man nor beast nor anything requiring liquids to remain viscous!

/ Starting at -10F #2  
:laughing:You got er done that's what counts!

/ Starting at -10F #3  
Your description was so well done that I cringed just reading it, and I think I can taste some of the exhaust. :licking:

/ Starting at -10F #4  
On the bright side, you probably saved a couple of bucks on hydro.:p

/ Starting at -10F #5  
I bet those animals were glad to see the fresh hay bale too.

/ Starting at -10F #6  
You gave me quite a laugh this morning. You paint an extraordinary word picture. :thumbsup:

/ Starting at -10F #7  
:D
Yes, frustrating when one forgets to plug stuff in.... Adding to the frustration is when stuff will not start. But, the joy of when stuff starts is right up there with well.... I'll just say all things that bring great pleasure and euphoria:thumbsup:

/ Starting at -10F #9  
I'm amazed you are feeding round bales with a CT-230. You got it done. That's all that matters.

/ Starting at -10F
My brother bales them for me. He keeps them at 1000#. However, I hauled and unloaded a load of 1400-1600# bales for a neighbor. One of them was obviously heavier than the rest - It took about 30 seconds to lift it over the fender of the trailer - but it got the job done!