Oil & Fuel Rookie Mistake Perhaps........

/ Rookie Mistake Perhaps........
I used to have a B2920 that had a very noisy HST whine. After the first 50 hour change with SUDT-2 it was quieter and seemed to improve a little more over time.

I'm curious if you started/ran your tractor at all with the TSC oil, and if so, how did it sound?

I did run it briefly...... To the untrained ear, it sounded fine...:eek:

/ Rookie Mistake Perhaps........
Thanks fellas for your input! I'm on my way to the dealer to pick up the UDT! Lesson learned!

/ Rookie Mistake Perhaps........ #13  
The doom and gloom on internet forums is entertaining.
While I'm not a chemical engineer, I am a mechanical one and have designed various sealing widgets.
No seal is perfect, nor is chemical compatibility. I, too, run SUDT. But crikey, at the end of the day it's just a hydraulic circuit.
One product I worked on used Dextron III in a hydraulic circuit (with similar-ISH industrial pumps, compensators, motors, etc).

Dad runs Ford oil and has for 15+ years. I dislike the "i've been doing it for xxx" statements because they don't prove anything, but it goes to my point. It is NOT all doom and gloom. I've even <gasp> switched from dino to synthetic and back to dino in one of our cars. Oh the humanity!

Mostly I agree with the "cheap insurance" comments. That said, over the lifetime of a tractor thousands could probably be saved. That's another implement, or a few car payments, or whatever. Bottom line is that we can all "nickel and dime" ourselves into the poor house. We all choose to save in some places and splurge in others. I will *not* give you a hard time about buying off-brand oil. I doubt you'd ever notice, especially if it's mostly summer use. I use mine for blowing snow for 1/3 of the year, so I wanted synthetic. I like *all* types of synthetic oil. I even ran synthetic in my Boss plow, when I had it.

So on the forum where we all blab our opinions and argue it like facts.....that's mine.
Carry on!

/ Rookie Mistake Perhaps........ #14  
I have used tractor supply's premium UTF in my B2710 in the past. Trans whine was louder until warmed up but never had problems, switched to sudt2 and it sounds like a sewing machine.

I would change it out and use the premium UTF if you do not want pay for sudt2.

/ Rookie Mistake Perhaps........ #16  
The doom and gloom on internet forums is entertaining.
While I'm not a chemical engineer, I am a mechanical one and have designed various sealing widgets.
No seal is perfect, nor is chemical compatibility. I, too, run SUDT. But crikey, at the end of the day it's just a hydraulic circuit.
One product I worked on used Dextron III in a hydraulic circuit (with similar-ISH industrial pumps, compensators, motors, etc).

Dad runs Ford oil and has for 15+ years. I dislike the "i've been doing it for xxx" statements because they don't prove anything, but it goes to my point. It is NOT all doom and gloom. I've even <gasp> switched from dino to synthetic and back to dino in one of our cars. Oh the humanity!

Mostly I agree with the "cheap insurance" comments. That said, over the lifetime of a tractor thousands could probably be saved. That's another implement, or a few car payments, or whatever. Bottom line is that we can all "nickel and dime" ourselves into the poor house. We all choose to save in some places and splurge in others. I will *not* give you a hard time about buying off-brand oil. I doubt you'd ever notice, especially if it's mostly summer use. I use mine for blowing snow for 1/3 of the year, so I wanted synthetic. I like *all* types of synthetic oil. I even ran synthetic in my Boss plow, when I had it.

So on the forum where we all blab our opinions and argue it like facts.....that's mine.
Carry on!

The hydraulic circuit part is one thing, but transmission components, PTO clutch discs, and brakes submersed in it are something else entirely.

/ Rookie Mistake Perhaps........ #17  
PTO clutch discs, and brakes submersed in it are something else entirely.

I'd be curious (but not actually enough so to *do* it) of the actual specs. I haven't decided if I agree, or not. The alternative is either compatible, or not compatible. Regardless, I think we're talking degrees of good vs. the doom and gloom of the first page+ of this thread. That was my point.

Similar to the Sprint (I think...I have a DVR so commercials get skipped) ads against Verizon where they talk about twice as much money for 1% better.

Again, I also run SUDT. They're proud of it though, and I think I use 11 gallons. It's a lot of coin. I also make sure to run the block heater when it's cold. I also run synthetic engine oil. If I'll actually see the benefits of these good deeds........who knows.

/ Rookie Mistake Perhaps........ #18  
I'd be curious (but not actually enough so to *do* it) of the actual specs. I haven't decided if I agree, or not. The alternative is either compatible, or not compatible. Regardless, I think we're talking degrees of good vs. the doom and gloom of the first page+ of this thread. That was my point.

Similar to the Sprint (I think...I have a DVR so commercials get skipped) ads against Verizon where they talk about twice as much money for 1% better.

Again, I also run SUDT. They're proud of it though, and I think I use 11 gallons. It's a lot of coin. I also make sure to run the block heater when it's cold. I also run synthetic engine oil. If I'll actually see the benefits of these good deeds........who knows.

I certainly won't argue with that. I've seen mention of people running "compatible" or acceptable alternatives and having brake chatter and/or shifting problems that went away when the recommended fluid was replaced.

In some cases there has been gloom and doom documented. I've read a number of horror stories on the Case/IH forum about folks substituting something else for the recommended HyTran Ultra and having to replace every fiber disc in the system. Similarly, I've seen a retired Case tech talk about a variety of problems he could only trace back to different fluid. I'm sure not 100% of those are really the fault of the fluid being different, but there were enough I thought it wasn't worth risking it when I changed the hydraulic fluid on my backhoe, and that was something like 20 gallons (you replace just what's in the tank) at $100 per 5gal bucket :eek:

/ Rookie Mistake Perhaps........ #19  
A manufacturer cannot deny you warranty work if you do not use their brand of oil. They can and will if you don't use the oil with the specifications they require.

I worked at a heavy equipment dealership many years ago. They did not sell the manufacture branded oils. They used a local lubrication distributor that provided the correct specification lubes. Zone reps for the manufacturers never seemed to care that we did not sell the branded oil.

Bottom line, make sure if you are buying off brand, that it meets the specifications provided by the manufacture. And keep your reciepts!

/ Rookie Mistake Perhaps........ #20  
Guys keep in mind that it said right on the container he bought. The fluid was not for OEM equipment after 1974