How much side slope can my tractor handle?

/ How much side slope can my tractor handle? #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I have 52 hours on my Massey SCUT tractor. I've been *very* careful to avoid side slopes when using it. I bush hog about two acres, and if there is much of an incline I go up/down rather than traverse it sideways. I keep the bucket lowered while turning.

This season, I will have a 50+ hp cab tractor and about 12 acres to bush hog. The 12 acres has more slope. Tires will be loaded with rimguard.

How can you tell how much slope is too much? Obviously if the tractor rolls that was too much. But are there small cues or things to watch for to let you know you are getting close to the limit before finding yourself upside down, or worse?

/ How much side slope can my tractor handle? #2  
Make absolutely certain that your dealer puts your tires out to their widest position. Also, if you're just mowing, remove the loader. It only takes a few minutes, and it makes your tractor much more maneuverable. It also reduces stress to the front axle, and lowers your center of gravity. With loaded R4 tires set all the way out I think most tractors will start to slide downslope before they tip, but don't quote me on that. Also, I'd be inclined to believe that with that setup the tractor can remain stable on a slope that would make your gut churn. I think it's likely that you'll chicken out well before you're in danger. Unfortunately, as you might be able to tell, there isn't a simple x degrees is okay, but y degrees isn't. Each tractor is different, so you have to feel it out for yourself to some extent.

/ How much side slope can my tractor handle? #3  
The roll over point on tractors is so variable that it is hard to estimate...there are too many factors that influence it.

Loaded tires, keeping the FEL close to the ground, and keeping the mower on the ground will all help.

Tall tires, narrow gauge, and a cab are problems.

The best indicator that I've found is your butt. When it starts to crimp, the slope is too much. And, obviously, if one of the tires starts to leave the ground...turn downhill in a hurry.

There are also angle gauges that can be put on the dash. Of course, you have to know what is the danger point. That only comes from experience. Hopefully, not extreme experience.

Sold here on TBN:

25C Tiltmeter - TractorByNet.com Store

/ How much side slope can my tractor handle? #4  
I find that the pucker factor tells me when I am getting to close to the tipping point. What I worry about more than anything is when I am bushhogging new terrain. You can be going along nicely and your front tire on the low side hits a hole and you start going over. You can't see it cause it's under the brush and have to react quickly by turning down hill. It also occurs when you hit a high spot with the high side wheel. Same thing occurs. I didn't grow up on tractors so I probably error on the safe side and go up and down hill whenever I can.

/ How much side slope can my tractor handle? #5  
The best indicator of too much side slope is when your butt starts to slip out of the seat. This will happen long before maximum tilt is obtained. Of course pot holes OR bumps in concert with excessive speed can tip a tractor even on flat ground. That is something that must be taken into consideration when going side slope and is much more relevant than angle. When moving side slope, slow down, watch for holes or bumps and IF you do start to raise the uphill wheel, steer hard down hill and most times you can recover if you are quick to react. Of course not getting into the position of the tractor flipping is best advice.
So continue to mow up and down the hills if there is any doubt of flipping.

/ How much side slope can my tractor handle? #6  
Make absolutely certain that your dealer puts your tires out to their widest position. .

I respectfully disagree. I set my tires to match the width of my bushhog to allow proper cutting. On new cuttings I always walk the entire area first, and leave the bucket an inch or two above the ground to discover 'stuff' that I may have missed such as an old wheel or metal fence post. On steep areas I prefer to cut downhill or if there is no flat area at the top to turn around tell the owner no thanks

/ How much side slope can my tractor handle? #9  
Above all, be sure your seat belt is fastened and the ROPS is up, so if disaster strikes you are still OK. Also dealer should have information on safe side slope operation. It may also be in you owners manual. Tilt gauge is very useful too. Also the wider GP4 tires and be a bit more stable than the R4's if that option is available.

Now for a laugh, several years ago someone posted pictures of a tractor in Europe with outriggers on it.

/ How much side slope can my tractor handle? #10  
I have 52 hours on my Massey SCUT tractor. I've been *very* careful to avoid side slopes when using it. I bush hog about two acres, and if there is much of an incline I go up/down rather than traverse it sideways. I keep the bucket lowered while turning.

This season, I will have a 50+ hp cab tractor and about 12 acres to bush hog. The 12 acres has more slope. Tires will be loaded with rimguard.

How can you tell how much slope is too much? Obviously if the tractor rolls that was too much. But are there small cues or things to watch for to let you know you are getting close to the limit before finding yourself upside down, or worse?

Your SCUT is tiny, like the first tractor I had (Kubota B7510 HST). I nearly rolled that Bota while shoveling dirt with the FEL. Front wheel dropped down into a tire rut. Was able to stop the rollover by dropping the FEL bucket to the ground.

My advice is get the widest rear tires you can fit onto your rear wheels.

Good luck