Wood chipper- is it best to rent, or buy?

/ Wood chipper- is it best to rent, or buy?
The immediate need is that I have eight acres of slash to deal with after a logging project. LOTS of downed material. Unfortunately most is pine, which is not very desirable firewood. I estimate it will take me two years to get through it, considering other things I have to do. I'll be using a 50hp tractor with grapple and landscape rake on most of it. And a skidding winch.

I plan to keep most 4" and larger stuff as firewood, and a small quantity of 3" stuff for outdoor campfire. Everything under 3" I either need to burn or chip. I have many areas on the property that would benefit from chips-- hiking trails, dirt roads, around the pond, etc. I can burn except in summer. Some days burning is allowed, some not.

I want a pure chipper, so it can blow chips into my dump trailer for transport and use elsewhere. I'm told the chipper/shredders don't blow chips but instead dump them on the ground. If I buy, or rent, I'm figuring a 6" capacity chipper should be a good match and hopefully overkill as I intend to only chip stuff smaller than 4".

/ Wood chipper- is it best to rent, or buy? #12  
Like a lot of things, " if you're gonna have one have a big one "
Had an interest in a 3 pt 6" POS, spent more time fixing it than chipping with it. Sold it at a loss , bought a 140hp 12" Brush Bandit and couldn't be happier. Friend of mine used to say , doesn't cost anymore to go first class, just can't stay as long !

This is my experience as well BC1000 Vermeer it will work you to death.
Otherwise I would rent

/ Wood chipper- is it best to rent, or buy? #13  
When you are chipping material that's close to the chippers maxium capacity, it has to be fairly straight and have the branches trimmed off. That's more work for you. (note that some chippers list the smaller dimension as their capacity and may say they're 4" chippers when they have a 4"x10" opening. That'll handle more side branches and bends than a 4"x4" opening)

I've looked for used commercial -style standalone chippers. Where I am near the coast they're either nearly the cost of a new one, or totally beat up. The smaller commercial style chippers have less capacity than a Woodmaxx 8h, and only a 16hp gas engine turning them. Also there's the hassle of moving a trailer to where the stuff to chip is.

For 8 acres of logging slash I'd want to own a chipper so I could go work on it when I want. With that much chipping it might be worth getting a Wallenstein power feed chipper with the intellifeed. Depends on how much you value your time vs money. If you have not bought your tractor yet you could get a slightly cheaper tractor and use that money for a chipper. You could also try renting a chipper first, to see how that goes, before buying one.

/ Wood chipper- is it best to rent, or buy? #14  
The immediate need is that I have eight acres of slash to deal with after a logging project. LOTS of downed material. Unfortunately most is pine, which is not very desirable firewood. I estimate it will take me two years to get through it, considering other things I have to do. I'll be using a 50hp tractor with grapple and landscape rake on most of it. And a skidding winch.

I plan to keep most 4" and larger stuff as firewood, and a small quantity of 3" stuff for outdoor campfire. Everything under 3" I either need to burn or chip. I have many areas on the property that would benefit from chips-- hiking trails, dirt roads, around the pond, etc. I can burn except in summer. Some days burning is allowed, some not.

I want a pure chipper, so it can blow chips into my dump trailer for transport and use elsewhere. I'm told the chipper/shredders don't blow chips but instead dump them on the ground. If I buy, or rent, I'm figuring a 6" capacity chipper should be a good match and hopefully overkill as I intend to only chip stuff smaller than 4".

I have a PTO chipper shredder that blows chips. I have about 50 ft of PVC pipe installed to blow the material into a bin.
IMG_2014.JPG

I use it to to resize wood chips but it also works well if you have a lot of smaller material to process. Sometimes smaller material does not feed that well in the bigger chippers and this one will rip the little stuff out of your hand as you drop it in the top. But it does not work that well for larger material in the 4" range compared to the 8" PTO models with hydraulic feed.

I also do quite a bit of chipping with a 12" vermeer. I often feed 10" logs through it and it takes a while but it gets the job done. It's certainly not ideal for lots for really small bushy stuff.
IMG_1867 (1).JPG

My suggestion is to rent if you are going to dispose of a large amount of branches. That way you can use your tractor to load the chipper. It is very difficult with a tractor compared to a skid steer but it can be done. If you are planning to hand load then you might as well just buy a PTO model and go that route as since you are using the bigger stuff for firewood you will mainly be processing small material.

Might not be what you are looking for but I noticed that woodmaxx has a new gas powered model that might work for some situations.
Wood Chipper shredder | portable | gas engine powered | WoodMaxx

/ Wood chipper- is it best to rent, or buy? #15  
Depends on your needs. Is it an ongoing need? How big is the need? How much brush? How often? If it's something you are going to do once, rent the biggest one you can find. As mentioned, if it's rated to 6", it's not going to make you happy chipping 6" branches.

I rented a supposed 6" two years ago when I had to drop a dozen big trees. I was planning to chip anything under 4", the rest would go in the firewood pile. But I had volunteer help, so a few bigger ones got fed in. It was very slow going on the 5" stuff. It did manage it, but it was slow. This was a self-feed unit.

If it's an ongoing need, do the math. What does it cost to rent a big enough chipper, and how often will you need it? At 8 grand, I'm guessing you are better off renting it for a week once a year to give yourself a comfortable amount of time for the job.

I just checked SunBelt Rental's site for the Sacramento area, and they want $520 per week for a 6" self-feed. That $8,000 will get you almost 16 years of chipping with no ownership headaches (maintenance, repairs).

Always, do the math, do the math.

Not hardly. More like 16 weeks of continuous use. And they probably charge sales tax on top of the $520.

/ Wood chipper- is it best to rent, or buy? #16  
I've had two Wallenstein chippers. I currently have the BX62s. Every spring I thin my pine stands and chip 750-900 small(6" or less) pines. Both chippers have worked flawlessly. The BX62s cost $4500 when purchased new in 2013. I have never found the need for a hydraulic feed unit... I feed the pines whole into the chipper without problems.

/ Wood chipper- is it best to rent, or buy? #17  
Not hardly. More like 16 weeks of continuous use. And they probably charge sales tax on top of the $520.

You missed his point, he said "At 8 grand, I'm guessing you are better off renting it for a week once a year to give yourself a comfortable amount of time for the job.". Once week a year =16 years.

/ Wood chipper- is it best to rent, or buy? #18  
I just bought the Woodmaxx 8H. Yes it is built in China but American supported in Akron,NY. Very well built and fit and finish are very good. Bought the USA made pto shaft. Total cost was $2900...free shipping. To much hassle to rent as we live a hour away from the nearest rental place.

Have put 6 hrs on it the past few days. No problems !! We have 24 acres in Tenn. so this is a welcome machine to keep things cleaned up. Instead of having to make big piles...just drive the tractor and chipper to where you need . The hyd feed is very nice...as once in awhile you need that reverse action to get a branch out that is stuck. Anything over 5 inches is firewood so don't need any bigger machine.

/ Wood chipper- is it best to rent, or buy? #19  
I own a PTO chipper (ancient Morbark Busy Beaver 125) that's probably rated for about 6". Bought used about 10 years ago and can't even remember for how much ($2500?). Bought mostly because we had 200 acres almost all wooded, needed to clear for house/powerlines/etc. and were fearful of burning because of poor water availability and sketchy fire dept. It seems there are ALWAYS slash piles of some sort, somewhere. I thought I would use it a LOT.

For a year or so, we did. Recently, only occasionally. For the same reasons that make you hesitate to rent. It doesn't make sense to connect the chipper until there's a significant need (pile). As soon as the saved up piles are done, the chipper needs to come off so the tractor can be used for other purposes. OTOH, dried, hardened slash is more difficult to chip, so you really don't want to "save up" for more than a month or two.

I also once rented a decent 6" capacity Vermeer tow-behind at another property. It was OK, but the self-feed/reverser was touchy (out of adjustment) and the blades were dull. With a rental, you can expect less than as-designed performance. It did the job, but just ok.

All things considered, if I had it all to do over again, I would probably NOT buy, but rent. At least when larger capacity was needed. Maybe buy a smaller self-contained 10HP or so unit for lawn and garden debris (1"-2" stuff). The trick would be to find a rental source that maintained their equipment well.

/ Wood chipper- is it best to rent, or buy? #20  
Hard to rent a commercial chipper here unless you hold a contractor license...

The Bandit Dealer worked up some numbers for me to buy their demo unit... said I should rent it for a day to see how I like it and the rent would be credited to the purchase.

Went to pick it up and it was already hitched to the truck and my credit card processed... as I was leaving the guy runs after me saying he needed to copy my contractor license... I told him I am not a contractor... I only work on my own holdings...

Lost story short I was not allowed to rent since I was not a licensed contractor... no where did it say this but all their business is contractors or government for rentals.