Level indicator

/ Level indicator #1  

Fastball

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2900
Forgive this oh-so-newbie question, but how exactly does one use a level indicator?
The reason I asked is that my dad wrapped a chain around the level indicator on the bucket of the LA 480 loader, and ripped it off by yanking on something. So I've got this orange level indicator lying around now and I'd like to get it welded back on at some point...but I really don't have a clue what it does other than indicating the bucket is level to the ground.

/ Level indicator #2  
So the typical type is a rod that extends from the curl cylinder base where it attaches to the bucket. The other end comes up to a spot (typically near the bend in the FEL arm) that is visible to the operator. The rod moves through a sleeve and that gives an indication to the bucket position. The sleeve is adjustable so it can changed based on your bucket or other attachment.
I have always used to flat top of the bucket as my "guide." But after installing my front plow blade I realized the need for the level indicator- is hard to tell the position of the blade since it doesn't have a level or flat spot I can see.

/ Level indicator
This is just a piece of metal about 6 inches long that is welded onto the bucket, with the words Level Indicator on it. If you look at pictures of grab hooks that guys have attached, you'll see the kind. Is it just a visual thing...."if you can read this - you're level"?

/ Level indicator #4  
All the buckets I have used have a flat spot across the top which is what I use to adjust relative to the ground. Based on the description you provided (and the fact I've never used that type of indicator) I personally wouldn't find much use for that.

I use the "level indicator" to set curl when making ground contact or digging into a pile. I.E. slightly front edge down to cut or dig. Level with the ground to scrape clean etc.

/ Level indicator #5  
This is just a piece of metal about 6 inches long that is welded onto the bucket, with the words Level Indicator on it. If you look at pictures of grab hooks that guys have attached, you'll see the kind. Is it just a visual thing...."if you can read this - you're level"?

If you can weld, you can repair this. Using a bubble level, set the bucket level by gauging the bottom apron. Then again using the level, set the portion of the indicator that has writing on it on top of the bucket lip in a location easily seen from the tractor, leveling the top surface. Then tack weld it to the bucket.

I would contend if that type of indicator works for you then don't worry about reinstalling it. With practice you'll figure out where level is.

/ Level indicator #6  
Previous L3410 had the small welded on plate on the bucket like you describe. I preferred that to the rod style indicator like on my L4060. The 4060 has a large area of flat metal decking that makes leveling the bucket very easy. I can eyeball a known flat surface much more accurately than trying to line up a very small plate on the metal rod.

/ Level indicator #7  
Go into the Kubota dealer take a pic. with your phone of one on a tractor then go home and you guessed it.