Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter.

/ Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter. #11  
<snip>
If your tractor stalls after being started cold, wax is likely plugging up on your fuel filter. If you have a hair drier or way to make steam, you could apply the heat to the fuel filter and possibly the line to it from the tank to get the tractor to run. Once the tractor warms up, and if the fuel filter is mounted up next to the engine block, the tractor will keep running.
What I've done with success is to put a large heavy duty baggie around the filter and pour boiling water over the filter onto the baggie. When the water cooled a bit I'd refresh it.

/ Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter. #12  
Another thing is these small tractors don't use a lot of fuel;try to use up your "summer" blend before it gets real cold.Winter blend here (northern Ny)shows up about Nov.1.I have used summer fuel during cold weather with a healthy dose of Power service with no problems.

/ Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter. #13  
I too use Power Service white bottle year round. My fuel is stored outside in a 275 Gallon tank and I pre-treat with PS when they fill the tank. I use home heating oil in my tractor. HHO in my area is #2 dyed diesel. They do offer a winter blend of diesel and kerosene but I've been using the treated #2 for the past 25 years without problem.

/ Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter. #14  
I had a mercedes 240 D , a 4 cyl diesel .In the owners manual it suggested in very cold weather a 50/50 blend of diesel and kerosene . Never had to do it , I live in Maryland

/ Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter. #15  
While I'm certainly no expert - but don't the fuel companies treat diesel in the winter months? I've driven diesel vehicles in Northern Ontario, where temperatures routinely dip below -25F (-32C) in the winter months and I've NEVER had an issue wih diesel fuel gelling.

/ Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter. #16  
In my area fuel suppliers sell it both ways. Of course winter blend costs more. Some fuel stations have 3 pumps. #2 diesel, winter blend, and #1 diesel (kerosene).

/ Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter. #17  
As has been mentioned, cetane additives do not affect diesel gel points, although they are frequently included in winter fuel additive products. I live in an area that occasionally sees single digit temps, but not that often. I personally use Power Service in the white bottle in the winter, nothing for the summer. When I was heating an out building with a kerosene heater I just cut my diesel with 10% kerosene. I think the coldest I have seen here was -10f and I did not have any fuel issues. During that cold period I did blow out the HST Filter upon startup, but that's another story...

If handling the diesel in portable containers, consider using a Mr. Funnel that has been previously mentioned. They work great as an additional opportunity to filter out particulate matter and catch water.

/ Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter. #18  
As long as we are on this subject, does anyone use these or any other additives with the newer common rail engines. I always did with my truck to increase lubrication.

/ Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter. #19  
I use offroad diesel because it's a lot cheaper, (no road tax and generally 75 cents less a gallon) and a good dose of Lucas antigel in every tank, never had a fuel problem in doing so.. In the summer months I add Motorcraft Performance improver to up the cetane a bit, it does make a difference

/ Understanding Diesel fuel with my sub compact tractor in winter. #20  
I've posted this before, but this might be a good thread to mention it again... my heating oil suppliers have told me more than once, when I asked as I was grabbing some in 5 gallon cans for my tractors, that home heating oil and diesel fuels all come out of the same big tanks at the fuel depot. The red dye is added as required. Same diesel, different labels. Some years ago, perhaps things are different now? No matter, HHO and off-road diesel from the gas station appear identical when I am pouring it. I use the PS white additive with every tank/can, just because I don't know how fast it will be used, and I figure it is cheap insurance against problems. Like the Mr. Funnel.