Loader BX25 - can I use the bucket without backhoe fitted

/ BX25 - can I use the bucket without backhoe fitted #1  

Madz

Tractor
Kubota BX25D
Quick question, I have a BX25 which spends most of its time as a mower without the loader and backhoe attached and with a MMM deck on. If I want to do some grading or very light work with the bucket do I need to go to the trouble of fitting the backhoe?? (as a counter weight)? I know obviously I won't be able to lift significant weight safely without it, but I'm talking more about what's safe for the machine I don't want to put strain on the chassis etc ... ??

/ BX25 - can I use the bucket without backhoe fitted #2  
I wouldn't think you'd stress the machine doing loader work without a backhoe on. You would, however, increase the chance of losing traction on your rear tires, and maybe some tipping tendencies. Have you thought about getting a weight box or box blade with weights to pop on the rear for added weight?

/ BX25 - can I use the bucket without backhoe fitted #3  
You should be ok as far as the tractor goes. I've taken 500# of pellets with my mf gc1710 with no ill effects. Be careful to not lift too high with a heavy load.

/ BX25 - can I use the bucket without backhoe fitted #4  
YES.

Strain on the chassis is not the issue.

FEL work puts a heavy load on spindly front axle and front axle bearings.

Three Point Hitch mounted counterbalance reduces front end stress.

If you will not mount counterbalance keep the bucket loads at 1/3rd and be aware the BX with FEL load will be uncharacteristically tippy both front-to-rear and side-to-side. Keep the bucket LOW to maintain low center-of-gravity.

Last edited:
   / BX25 - can I use the bucket without backhoe fitted #5  
Has anyone on TBN had front axle damage on a BX tractor that can be proven to be caused by using the FEL without a counter weight?

/ BX25 - can I use the bucket without backhoe fitted #7  
understand the issues of having and not having counter balance on the rear of tractor make it wheel weights, to liquid filled rear tires, to 3pt hitch (something attached) for weight.
((some machines manufactures state (depends on model numbers), that filled tires are ok, or not ok. double check manual, and it may depend on ok on back but not front wheels))

many tractors do not have backhoes but have FELs.

tractors with backhoes attached to them, generally require FEL's to be on both for counter balance on front, and also a stabilization platform. so you do not damage the front end wheel supports / axles when using backhoe.

air pressure of tires may need to be changed. "highest allowed pressure" tends to be least amount of traction on dirt. and a lower pressure in tires = more traction. but heavier weight, may require more air pressure in tires to keep tires on the rim. i bring this up. because i have done it a few times before. lowering air pressure in tires, and then doing FEL work and looking down and seeing what looks like flat, due to so much weight in the bucket. and then vice vs on rear tires. (forgot to put more back in tires) DOH!

the operators manual should cover FEL counter weight balance, and tire pressures pending on weight and use.

shop manual = covers tearing stuff apart and putting it back together and diagnostic stuff.
parts manual = simpler part diagrams than shop manual, and shows parts only
operators manual = check fluids, were to grease stuff, safety issues, maintenance schedules, what lever / button does what. and overall general use of tractor.

/ BX25 - can I use the bucket without backhoe fitted #8  
Has anyone on TBN had front axle damage on a BX tractor that can be proven to be caused by using the FEL without a counter weight?
That is one of the more common failures on all Kubotas. Bevel gear, bearing & seal problems have a good number of threads if you look.

If you ever lift to much without proper ballast your back tires will come off the ground. As your front axle is a pivot, not only will you tip forward, it's highly likely you will roll sideways as well.

Proper 3pt ballast is always required when using the loader. Loaded tires increase rear traction & keeps the back end on the ground, but does nothing to help the front axle. Weight on the 3pt acts like a teter toter & pulls weight off your expensive complex weak front axle & puts it on the simple & strong rear axle.

I once made the mistake of trying to move a 100-200lbs gate on my pallet forks with my L3200 (a noticably bigger machine too). It was in 2wd (forgot) & I was to lazy to put on an impliment because it was only a light gate. The grass going downhill to my barn ended up with skid marks as did my seat when my rear tires didn't have enogh traction to do anything. My barn now has a pair of pallet fork sized holes in the back too. ALWAYS use proper 3pt ballast when using the loader (and keep it in 4wd).

/ BX25 - can I use the bucket without backhoe fitted #9  
The BX 25 rear tires do not hold enough ballast to make it worthwhile doing. Fronts; forget it. That is why I like the suitcase weights; I can use them either place in the increments to match loads. Also I can slide them to either side to help stability on side slopes, like I do with the BH. I can add 200# to the BH bucket that way also. Amen to Fallon, good info. When I bought mine the dealer salesman showed me a lot of these nuances of the BXs as he owned one himself. As the tubeless tires start having flats I just tube them and get it over with. Slime, ever change tubeless tire that has had slime in it you won't use it again. My tire shop charges extra to mess with tires holding slime for a reason.

Ron

/ BX25 - can I use the bucket without backhoe fitted #10  
Five or six years ago i didn't bother to install the rear snow blower on the BX - BIG mistake, although I didn't have any major accidents the tractor was very unstable when moving with a loaded bucket. Of course OP doesn't to worry about snow in Australia but same kind of consideration except here we also have to deal with the slippery ground.