What do you consider to be high hours?

/ What do you consider to be high hours? #1  

IH782

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 2650 Kubota B7800, Kubota L3901, Mahindra 2538, Mahindra 2555
Like the title says.

/ What do you consider to be high hours? #2  
I think the definition would depend on the piece of equipment. A small 1700 Ford might be high at 3500 to 4000 hours but if it was an industrial engine I might go 6000 to 7000. Question is, what was the unit designed to run? I have a Perkins Diesel that the book said is designed for 8000 hours. They also list servicing that engine at 12000 hours.

/ What do you consider to be high hours? #3  
My Duramax has an hour meter and odometer. When the odometer was at about 100k the hour meter was about 4000hrs. My research at the time suggested the hours were a bit high for that mileage- about 25mph avg.
A fire engine I saw had about 19000 miles and about 1450 hrs. Under the abuse the fire engine sees they are pulling heads for something by about 150,000-200,000 miles. They are all Detroit Diesels. A little math says they last about 10,000+ hrs with terrible treatment and good maintenance before needed a major repair.
Not sure the engine or application you are wanting info for. Hopefully having hours and mileage on two diesels will provide some reference and be somewhat useful for your curiosity.

/ What do you consider to be high hours?
Not sure the engine or application you are wanting info for.

Just wanting opinions, we put about 50-60 hrs a month on our machines. But I have seen people with 200 hrs wanting to trade in.

/ What do you consider to be high hours? #5  
I cut the axels and jacks out of an old semi trailer and set it on the ground for a guy. They were refrigerated trucks. The hour meter on one trailer read 9,000 and the other was 40,000. He told me I could have the engines, but I've yet to go get them. The machine usually gives up long before the engine anyway.

/ What do you consider to be high hours? #6  
My Duramax has an hour meter and odometer. When the odometer was at about 100k the hour meter was about 4000hrs. My research at the time suggested the hours were a bit high for that mileage- about 25mph avg. A fire engine I saw had about 19000 miles and about 1450 hrs. Under the abuse the fire engine sees they are pulling heads for something by about 150,000-200,000 miles. They are all Detroit Diesels. A little math says they last about 10,000+ hrs with terrible treatment and good maintenance before needed a major repair. Not sure the engine or application you are wanting info for. Hopefully having hours and mileage on two diesels will provide some reference and be somewhat useful for your curiosity.
I saw a garbage truck with the milage and hours written on the side. I don't remember either number but the average speed was very low. Like less than 5 mph average.

/ What do you consider to be high hours? #7  
My wife's 2005 Yukon has 140k miles and around 3800 hours. Average speed is just under 37 mph.

Aaron Z

/ What do you consider to be high hours? #8  
Can I assume you are talking about relatively small diesel engines in small tractors? You give no clue on the equipment other than what is below your avatar. Your title question and follow up are too vague at least for me to address what you are asking.

/ What do you consider to be high hours? #9  
Tractor diesel engines in farm applications...
I've seen units in the shop my dad worked in being rebuilt in the 5-6K range with some units up to 8-10K hours range...
Small gas engines on lawn mowers anything over 2-3K is IMHO high...
I have a 4610 SU Ford at 2900 hours I consider broken in and in great shape...
Small diesels can last as long also...
I consider anything over 6K hours high in diesel tractor applications...
My Buick Lesabre has over 220K miles so I guesstimate around 5K plus engine hours...
Still runs great...

/ What do you consider to be high hours? #10  
Anything past 10 PM and I often fall asleep. :D