How do you get 600 ft/lbs torque on a rotary cutter blade nut?!?

/ How do you get 600 ft/lbs torque on a rotary cutter blade nut?!? #1  

Herkypilot

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060 HDC12, KX040 & L3540 HST
I'm doing some research for the inevitable blade replacement on my Bush Hog. The owners manual calls for 600 ft/lbs of torque on the blade bolts and 450 ft/lbs on the blade holder pan. I'm not sure how to get that amount of torque with any tools I've researched. I don't really want to spring for a 3/4" high impact air wrench (along with the compressor to run it). Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

HP

/ How do you get 600 ft/lbs torque on a rotary cutter blade nut?!? #2  
Big breaker bar and a pipe.

/ How do you get 600 ft/lbs torque on a rotary cutter blade nut?!? #3  
Big breaker bar and a pipe.

This^^

A 6' pipe with 100# of pressure on it will get you 600ft/lbs. Probably gonna need to spring for a 3/4" breaker bar and socket, though. Harbor freight has pretty cheap 3/4" socket sets with a lifetime warranty. I don't use my 3/4" set very often, but when it's needed it's sure helpful.

/ How do you get 600 ft/lbs torque on a rotary cutter blade nut?!? #5  
Google "Torque Multiplier".

Looks like you can get a Chinese unit for less than $100. The pro level units will be north of $300.

/ How do you get 600 ft/lbs torque on a rotary cutter blade nut?!? #6  
Put on 60 lbs torque ten times.

:)

Bruce

/ How do you get 600 ft/lbs torque on a rotary cutter blade nut?!? #7  
Good impact gun and Kentucky windage is all I ever used when I saw numbers like that. Decades of doing that and never a failure so I guess it worked.

/ How do you get 600 ft/lbs torque on a rotary cutter blade nut?!? #8  
My spec was 480 foot-pounds. I used a 6' piece of iron pipe--3/4" pipe, as I recall--run down over a 24" breaker bar. Then I put a scale on the end of the pipe and put 80+ pounds of force on the end of the pipe.

/ How do you get 600 ft/lbs torque on a rotary cutter blade nut?!? #9  
Plenty of 1/2" drive HF impact guns are over 600 ft lbs. They have at least 3 that range from 600-1150 ft lbs. The HF Earthquake one I have goes up to 800. My Chicago Pneumatic (USA Made) only goes to 450. You should have a 60 gallon or larger compressor to run them. Not sure what or if you have a compressor. To torque them using a torque wrench you'll have to go with a 3/4" drive torque wrench.

/ How do you get 600 ft/lbs torque on a rotary cutter blade nut?!?
I figured the opinions would be varied and interesting; especially bcp - "Put on 60 lbs torque ten times." Even more, looks like several use the TLAR method or That Looks About Right. ;) I know there are quite a few that have many years of experience and I wanted to see if anyone had problems with just using a large pipe to crank on it.
Thanks for the replies guys.

HP