Suitcase weight: is this ok?

/ Suitcase weight: is this ok? #1  

Luke'sScreenName

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX4800 with BH-90X hoe; Hustler FastTrack 48; B3300SU (sold); 1969 Case 680B CK (sold)
I scored some Case suitcase weights today and want to build a rack for them.

Is it really ok to hang them from some angle iron?

Does not seem like much cast iron holding that weigh while bouncing up and down.

1487975238257.jpg

1487975259623.jpg

/ Suitcase weight: is this ok? #2  
Figure out what they go to and see how they were mounted. All of the weight isn't borne by the angle iron (it could also be a casting) but by pivoting against the bottom of the weight bracket and mostly just retained by the angle iron (or casting). See what the weights were on by searching "tractor weights in Texas" and comparing pics. There is a company there that sells knock off weights and has pictures of most weights. After you find out what they are off of, search the net for pics of weights on that model tractor and the mounting will be displayed. It's OK to hang from angle iron if they can also rest against something.

After a quick check, I'm not sure what they are off. The might be New Holland but might be a mongrel.

Last edited:
   / Suitcase weight: is this ok?
Case is what I was told. Lots of pictures of the weights. None of the bracket/rack that I can find. :confused3:

You are suggesting a vertical "bumper" for the weight to rest against? That is what I was tentatively planning...

/ Suitcase weight: is this ok? #4  
We've always kept suitcase weights whenever we sold a tractor. Here's a bracket I had to fab up up for the front of a Ford.

1/2"x6" flat bar was used. The weights are 120 pounds each IIRC.

IMG_1787.JPG

Terry

Last edited:
   / Suitcase weight: is this ok? #5  
Case is what I was told. Lots of pictures of the weights. None of the bracket/rack that I can find. :confused3:

You are suggesting a vertical "bumper" for the weight to rest against? That is what I was tentatively planning...

The one that Big Barn just showed is how it's done. Just like that.

I searched "Case tractor with suitcase weights" images on Bing and your weight showed up maybe 15 rows down.
Did you get a good deal on price?

/ Suitcase weight: is this ok? #6  

Head scratching and swear words were also involved. :D

/ Suitcase weight: is this ok?

I searched "Case tractor with suitcase weights" images on Bing and your weight showed up maybe 15 rows down.
Did you get a good deal on price?

$0.70/lb
I was just worried because of how much metal holds the "hook" part on these weights.

Last edited:
   / Suitcase weight: is this ok? #8  
Make a bracket that looks like the one above and it will hold it just fine.

/ Suitcase weight: is this ok? #9  

Attachments

• Bracket.jpg
    Bracket.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 524
   / Suitcase weight: is this ok? #10  
Here's a better picture of the weight on a bracket. It looks like there is a secondary clamp in the bottom angled slot.
Tractor Accessories - BAAH Farm Repair

Very nice find and excellent photo.

That shows a bolt pulling the weight and holding to the bracket. Sometimes there is a solid piece of metal with holes in it and it is long enough to go through all the weights and sometimes it a washer kind of thing that you use individually. Sometimes I don't bolt/clamp them down and I have never had one come off.