Seeking advice about GPS type tracking of stolen equipment

/ Seeking advice about GPS type tracking of stolen equipment #1  

rbtjr

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800
Due to a recent theft of our 18' equipment trailer, we are trying to improve our anti-theft security. I am aware of the general consensus that you can't prevent theft by professional thieves, that if someone really wants your equipment they can and will get it, etc. Still, we're going to upgrade our security. I am particularly interested if anyone has any experience with or a reference to practical GPS-type equipment that would alert you to your tractor being moved when it isn't supposed to be, would allow you to tract the location of stolen equipment, etc. Any other good ideas about either deterrence of theft or detection of the thieves would be welcome. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

/ Seeking advice about GPS type tracking of stolen equipment #2  
Any gps that can track it will need a service provider to do that for a monthly fee. My plan is having plenty of insurance on just in case it disappears

/ Seeking advice about GPS type tracking of stolen equipment #3  
While not a device you can use on your equipment this one is used with anything with a OBD II port. And you can track it.

Amazon.com: Vyncs No Monthly Fee Connected Car OBD Link, 3G Car GPS Tracker, Trips, Engine Diagnostics, Driver Coaching for Teens, Optional Roadside Assistance: GPS & Navigation

Also, these are available for item tracking as well but is limited in range but uses a group feature that can track it somewhat.

Amazon.com: Tile Mate - Key Finder. Phone Finder. Anything Finder - 1-pack: Cell Phones & Accessories

Also, for real time tracking you can do this too.

Real Time GPS Trackers | GPS Devices

Steve

/ Seeking advice about GPS type tracking of stolen equipment #4  
I had been looking at Linxup and AwareGPS. They both have "asset" trackers that are hard wired. It's just a matter of hiding the unit well enough that thieves don't see it right away. With at least one of them, you can set a perimeter so that any asset leaving that area will automatically send notice to you. Pretty cool for things like trailers and tractors that stay around home mostly...

I had even considered getting one units, installing it, and once i know it is working properly, discontinuing service. Then if my "asset" gets stolen, I can renew service on that tracker and find it without having to pay $25/month for tracking. I don't know if this is feasible, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. :)

Edit: I found my notes. AwareGPS has the tracker units for $50, and monthly service for asset tracking is $15. The tracker units for Linxup and AwareGPS look the same, so I wonder if you could buy the $25 tracker from Linxup, and activate it through AwareGPS?
Seems like putting a tracking on a trailer, powering it off the tail light feed would work pretty well for tracking a stolen trailer. (Assuming most trailers are stolen at night, and they'd probably plug in the lights so as not to get stopped...)

Last edited:
   / Seeking advice about GPS type tracking of stolen equipment #5  
Chek out trackmate GPS on Amazon.

A few hours backup battery included will track a stolen trailer.

A small solar panel will keep it going. If a thief plugs it into for lights that will power it up and it will call out and notify you.

I have one on a monthly plan and each crank sends me a text with location.

Any movement outside the perimeter that I have set up online gives me an alert also (incase it's loaded on a rollback or something). You can also set multiple perimeters.

It's pretty cheap and gives you peace of mind.

It's about 2"x3"x1". Easy to conceal. Tiny antenna.

/ Seeking advice about GPS type tracking of stolen equipment #6  
Not sure where it was stolen from, but I think my driveway gate is my #1 security feature. Keeps people out and gives the impression of security to outsiders. Also makes it just a bit harder to get to the goods.

/ Seeking advice about GPS type tracking of stolen equipment #7  
There are "coin" sized blue tooth tracking devices that send a ping if somebody walks past with a smart phone .
No cellular , no gps in the tracker .

Last edited:
   / Seeking advice about GPS type tracking of stolen equipment
Thanks for the replies. I will definitely investigate the suggestions. This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. We do have a gate and it was locked. The trailer was stolen from a farm home we have, sitting next to a metal building in which we keep equipment. The thieves forced the gate lock open, apparently by hitting it with a hammer and something like a chisel. We are in the process of buying super-hardened chain and locks that pretty much can't be cut with bolt cutters.

About the tracking services, if you have the tracking device on more than one piece of equipment, is there a separate fee for the service for each piece of equipment, or can you get a kind of batch deal with a lower fee if you have say three tracking devices, or a volume discount, etc.?

Thanks again for the information. As soon as I finish typing this response, I'm going to get on the Internet and check them out.

/ Seeking advice about GPS type tracking of stolen equipment #10  
Thanks for the replies. I will definitely investigate the suggestions. This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. We do have a gate and it was locked. The trailer was stolen from a farm home we have, sitting next to a metal building in which we keep equipment. The thieves forced the gate lock open, apparently by hitting it with a hammer and something like a chisel. We are in the process of buying super-hardened chain and locks that pretty much can't be cut with bolt cutters.

About the tracking services, if you have the tracking device on more than one piece of equipment, is there a separate fee for the service for each piece of equipment, or can you get a kind of batch deal with a lower fee if you have say three tracking devices, or a volume discount, etc.?

Thanks again for the information. As soon as I finish typing this response, I'm going to get on the Internet and check them out.

Dedicated thieves now carry a battery powered cut off saw. They cut anything in seconds. Locks only keep the honest "honest" any more. Keep it insured like I do. Two robberies in 3 years and total replacement at current price or discounted some if old. USAA and/or KTAC comes through.

Ron