John Deere LV 4010 HST and Kubota BX2200 HST

/ John Deere LV 4010 HST and Kubota BX2200 HST #1  

warment

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet RZT54
I have recently been working on a 2002 (label on engine stated 2002) JD LV 4010 HST diesel with Land Pride FDR1648 finishing mower for a friend.

The tractor had been sitting for quite some time, so he brought it to my garage and I have given it a detailed once over. So far, I have replaced the front 2 tires, greased every fitting, changed the coolant, changed the front axle oil, changed the engine oil and filter, changed the fuel filter and cleaned the sediment bowl, cleaned the batt terminals, changed the hydro filter and fluid, installed a new alt belt, changed the air filters and lubricated (silicone) everything that I could see that moved.

I am in the process of putting hard rubber wheels on the finishing mower, replacing the caster bushings, installing a new belt, installing new blades, installing 2 broken bolt/blade spacers, and greasing the spindles and every other fitting. I also want to check (and possibly replace) the gear oil.

That being said, I currently own a 2002 (label on engine stated 2002) Kubota BX2200 diesel, so as I was working on the JD I kept comparing to my tractor.

That being said, I had the following thoughts:

I prefer the JD fuel filter setup on the JD. I really liked the fuel shutoff valve, filter location, sediment bowl and ease of change. My kubota has 2 inline fuel filters that basically required draining of the fuel tank to change...and the job was messy.

I prefer the Kubota single HST pedal to the JD dual pedal (one for forward, one for reverse). The Kubota pedal could be design to be a little more comfortable, but nonetheless...

For ease of change, I prefer the Kubota hydro filter location (underneath tractor, front side) to the JD, which required the rear lift pivot pin to be removed to access. Not a big deal, but a rear tire had to be removed to slide the pin out so that 4 bolts could be removed to access filter. That being said, on the Kubota I ended up removing a rear wheel anyways to get to the strainer. The JD hydro filter also came with magnets that are inserted into the filter cartridge prior to installation, and the Kubota has a spin on filter setup.

I liked the JD coolant drain setup...I haven't changed the coolant in my Kubota, so I can't really comment on this.

I plan on mowing my grass with the JD when finished, so I will probably have some more thoughts then...

/ John Deere LV 4010 HST and Kubota BX2200 HST
Oh...and I prefer the 3 piece front end of the JD to the one piece on the Kubota. I have a loader and push bar on my Kubota, so I was forced to remove the push bar when I serviced the engine. A 3 piece setup would have prevented this.

/ John Deere LV 4010 HST and Kubota BX2200 HST #3  
My Kubota ZD326 had the same in series filter setup that the bx tractors have. I replaced the first filter with a large 2u full flow caterpillar spin on filter. A quick search here and YouTube will show you several solutions folks have come up with on the bx machines.
The cat filter is working out so well I plan to put one immediately after the tank on my L4060 (with an inline shut off valve). That machine has a sediment bowl water separator followed by a spin on filter of unknown filtration spec.

Thanks for the input. The stuff I performed on my BX was really no big deal at all. I just have a tendency to compare a task to a previous task I have performed and note which one was better. I like both of these tractors very much. I am looking forward to using the JD, as I have only driven it into my garage prior to working on it.

Another thing I noticed...the hydro on my Kubota is MUCH noisier than the JD...

/ John Deere LV 4010 HST and Kubota BX2200 HST #6  
On my Bx 24 , I just clamp both sides of the fuel line with vise grips , quick ,easy and no mess

So I got the 4010 running again yesterday and took it for a spin. It is much quieter than my Kubota. Seems to ride better as well. I like the fact that it has a tach as well. Getting onto the Kubota is easier. Still need a few more parts.

IMG_20170304_154814.jpg

IMG_20170304_154518.jpg

IMG_20170304_154837.jpg