Square Baler and Tractor size limitations Thoughts????

/ Square Baler and Tractor size limitations Thoughts???? #1  

nwut05

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland T-1510, T 4.75
I have a New Holland T1510 tractor with fel and fluid in rear tires. Been mulling around about trying it on a Baler this summer. Not Much, I know it will turn it and all but just want to get some interesting feedback others thoughts anybody do this with similar size equipment. Hay gets expensive and i got about 4 acres of my own i could mow and put up. Not many custom balers around here and most people round bale anyway. I prefer the square bales for handling feeding etc. I can get a NH269 reasonable right now and borrow the rake and i got a sickle mower already. Just kinda makes me wander? How did the old timers do it with an 8n?? my tractor is just about as heavy and has about the same hp? just looking for input...

/ Square Baler and Tractor size limitations Thoughts???? #2  
For 4 acres only I would do it. I would not be towing a wagon or trying any severe grades.

/ Square Baler and Tractor size limitations Thoughts???? #3  
I baled 200 bales for the neighbour with my John Deere 4410 and a New Holland baler. It was fun especially with the cruise control. I could easily match the ground speed to the size of the swath of hay.

You 'll easily be able to do the job.

/ Square Baler and Tractor size limitations Thoughts???? #4  
I have thought about the same issue as the OP. My jd3005 is rated for 27hp/24pto... I could hook dad's mf12 baler to it, and want to try it. My issue is all I have is hills, and I don't know if my tractor to heavy enough to control that much weight behind it. Flat ground, no problem, but the plunger inertia, constantly surging back and forth...

And I've heard of pto/driveline problems with small tractor/baler combos, again, the driveline 'surge' does a number on the small tractor.

Report back if you try it, I'd like to hear how it works out for you.

/ Square Baler and Tractor size limitations Thoughts???? #5  
Here's my 2 cents worth, hope it helps. I've read that many balers of the 8N day used a pony motor for power. Plenty of power to pull, the down side was the brakes. I don't know what your tractor weighs, lighter will mean you'll feel every stroke of the plunger. Rock N Roll :). If you can't pull a wagon, figure on picking the bales up off the ground. When you get your baler, spend some quality time with it. Make sure it's in time, greased, loose bolts tightened, etc. READ THE MANUAL.

I started putting up hay last year with similar size equipment on about 5 acres. Tractor is a JD 1020, mow with a JD #9W sickle bar, rake with a NH 256, and baler is a JD 24T. It's all old school, but gets the job done. Yours will probably do just fine. Nothing like putting up what you need, with your own equipment, by your own hand.

/ Square Baler and Tractor size limitations Thoughts???? #6  
I used to run my JD 14T baler with a 22 hp Yanmar (without live or 2 stage pto even). Never a problem. Weight helps the rocking, but sharp baler plunger and fixed knives really solve the rocking tendency. Ground speed is the main regulator. If you want to bale the whole 4 acres in 15 minutes, your'e gonna need a little more tractor (as I'm sure the trolls will point out).

I've posted videos of my settup (mowing with a NH 479 and baling with my 35 hp jd). Neither machine touches the governor.

Here ya go:
214813 2411 - YouTube

Hay Baling 214 - YouTube

I talked a friend of mine into haying his 'lawn'. Here is the result.

Jarnot Farms - YouTube

/ Square Baler and Tractor size limitations Thoughts???? #7  
I baled with an old 25 hp case tractor for years. Just take it slow and listen to how hard the tractor is working.

/ Square Baler and Tractor size limitations Thoughts????
Thanks for the thoughts so far. I do no not plan on pulling a wagon just picking them up. As far as the slowness of it ...yes that is not a problem. I am just looking for the practicality of it and yes the enjoyment of making my own hay on my own time within my own budget. barring the weather and all..that plays a big part on the timing.. and thank you for the comment about trolls saying i don't have enough horsepower.....I kinda get the hint you have been here also before..

/ Square Baler and Tractor size limitations Thoughts???? #9  
Some of us, and I've been guilty of this as well, are eager to jump on the "more power" bandwagon. Pretty much any task done by a 100-300HP tractor today was done by a less than 30HP tractor for a very long time. Implements are still available that will do the job. It's not economical or efficient, but as long as you don't plan on making money there's no harm in small production like what you describe.

/ Square Baler and Tractor size limitations Thoughts???? #10  
I never saw a PTO baler until I left the Southwest. Everything seemed to be Wisconsin V4 powered. They were pulled by Jeeps (weak frame), IH Scouts (strong frame), small and large tractors (JD A and Farmall M were most common), surplus aircraft tow tractors, and pickups. All on flat, irrigated land.

Bruce