Tires Fluid Filled Tires

/ Fluid Filled Tires #1  

Koz

I have seen many posts that recommend having a dealer fill tires with a fluid. I am going to be getting a Kubota 7610 this Wednesday and am wondering if it is worth asking the dealer to do this. I am already buying 300 pounds of weight for the 3-pt hitch.

What is a typical price? I'm concerned that my dealer might quote me a high number because I already have agreed to a price for the 7610.

What fluid is used?

Is this something I can do myself?

Are there any negatives?

How do I get more fluid into the tire in the event that some leaks out or there is a puncture?

/ Fluid Filled Tires #2  
My dealer informed me, any tractor he sells with a FEL the rear tires are always filled. It is included in the price. You are spending alot of $$$$$, ask him to fill the tires as part of the price. Good Luck on the tractor, you made a fine choice.
Ray

/ Fluid Filled Tires #3  
Koz,

There are a lot of posts dealing with this. Here is one that covers some of the questions.

Rimguard

You can search for more.

I think it becomes a personal decision for each owner. I have decided not to do it at this time. I know I can always get it done later but once it's done I don't think it is so easy to reverse. Definitely costs more.

The way I understand it, you don't have to get it done at a dealer, many tire sellers can do it and I beleive that you can even do it your self.

Also, deciding what to put in there might take years, Rimguard, Cacl, winshield fluid, antifreeze, foam. The list appeared to me endless and each product has it's bully pulpit.

So, If it were me I would sit back and wait since you have already struck the deal. Also, you mentioned you have already got weight for the 3ph. Try your rig for a while and see how it is working for you. Then decide if you need fluid in the tires or not.

My 2cents

Mike

/ Fluid Filled Tires #4  
I have a TC29D with a loader, and it was a bad mistake when I didnt have them load them at the dealer. Now that they are loaded, it is a totally different machine!! Much more stable, alot more traction, much safer overall. Loaded tires are a must in my book.
-Brad

/ Fluid Filled Tires #5  
Koz - traditionally a calcium chloride solution is used in a tube. There are other new products being used, I believe the most popular is Rim Guard or Beet Juice. The advantages of the calcium is it is heavier by volume than some other choices and is relatively cheap. Also, it won't freeze. The disadvantages are primarily that it is highly corrosive if it escapes your tube and will kill the grass if it spills on your lawn. I have it in mine, but there may be better choices. I have had no issue with it to date.

/ Fluid Filled Tires #6  
Koz,

You can fill with windshield washer fluid yourself easily. I could even loan you the setup to do it as I also am in Pgh, near I79/I279...

It is easy to do yourself. You use a little drill pump. Not too expensive if you find the WW fluid on sale...

That being said, it would pay to read some old threads on doing it yourself. I had no problem with my B2910 Kubota, but I recall someone having a different rim style and that their tire slipped off when the air pressure was released, and they had a hard time getting it to seat again...

/ Fluid Filled Tires #7  
I think Henro is giving some pretty good advice, but make sure you use the better quality windshield solvents because (at least in my climate) the discount brands can freeze solid.

Also do not use anti-freeze because if it leaks it is very very poisonous and the sweet smell is very attractive to kids and pets.

As for fluid fill, it is 2nd best to foam fill, but I would not operate a tractor with a FEL that didn't have fluid or foam in the rear tires. It is fairly easy to flip a tractor, having loaded rear tires will help you keep all 4 wheels on the ground.

I popped the valve stem off a fluid loaded rear tire and made a heck of a mess as the tire leaked, I was able to stop the tractor with the valve stem at the 12 o'clock position and that minimized the leaking until a tire service could pull the wheel and take it for repair.

I have my Cub Cadet FOAM FILLED and love that. The foam is heavier than the fluid and the tires cannot pop. We have a couple hundred native hawthorn trees with thorns up to 2" long that will go thru a tire (or the bottom of a shoe) and foam filling added a lot of needed weight as well and made the tires leak proof.

/ Fluid Filled Tires #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( but I would not operate a tractor with a FEL that didn't have fluid or foam in the rear tires. )</font>

And neither would I.

On my machines, loaded tires are not enough for safe loader operation. I need a heavy rear attachment or weight block too.
I have Calcium in my Ford 2120 and RimGuard in my TN. RimGuard is about $2.00 / gallon & labor to install. My 2120 rims are corroded after 17 years and a couple of leaks with the calcium.

Andy

/ Fluid Filled Tires #10  
Henro,
I think you may be thinking of my saga of loading my tires. Here is the link: Tire Loading Trouble

It's been a couple of years now and no leaks. Now that it's done, I'm glad I did it. I hope my story helps.....

Greg