Removing christmas trees stumps

/ Removing christmas trees stumps #1  

eyi

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
Hi all,

Bought a 20 acres field loaded with christmas trees which will be cut next fall.

My plan is to converse most of it into a nice deer food plot. The question is what to do with the stumps ?

Leave them rot would be a solution, but how long would it take ? Probably a problem to work the soil correctly for 3-5 years ? Too long ...

Could i remove it with my Kubota L3800, with a rachet rake on the bucket ? I fear l may have a hard time with the largest ones ?

Any implement comes to your mind ?

Thanks

/ Removing christmas trees stumps #2  
I am curious as to the responses you get. I am not sure how to do this.

/ Removing christmas trees stumps #3  
If you have 20 acres to do, an excavator would be the fastest solution. I don't think you be able to rent one and do them all in one go, so you might have to chip away at them for a few years.

Another possibility would be a subsoiler. Use it to cut the roots around each stump and make it easier to deal with, though that does leave the tap root intact, if the species in question has them. Some don't. Then the 3800 should be able to knock the stumps over. You could insist that the stumps be left...10 inches or more tall, which should allow you to get a choke chain on and use the three point lift to "pop" them out.

How do you plan on dealing with the holes?

/ Removing christmas trees stumps #4  
Rent a trackhoe or hire it done. Your tractor isn't up to the task. A CTL would work too, but if you're renting anyway a trackhoe is the tool for the job.

/ Removing christmas trees stumps #5  
My root grapple would pop them right out.
Grapple was made by "The Rake Shop", they also make root rakes.

But 20 acres would take a long time.

Attachments

• grapple.jpg
    grapple.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 374
  • grabrootball2.jpg
    grabrootball2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 446
   / Removing christmas trees stumps #6  
Assuming the pines are planted in some sort of pattern, I would consider a subsoiler and use it to cut roots in either a triangular or square pattern across the field, close to the stumps. Also, assuming the pines are planted in sand, it should be a rather easy pull for your 3800. Between the rachet rake and the subsoiler, you should be able to pull or lift the stumps out after the cut.

/ Removing christmas trees stumps #7  
Are you selling the trees as Christmas trees or trashing them? What is the stump diameter? Key points in your project to get good info. I push out 4" alder trees with my little BX with no sweat. Alders have a more extensive root system than any conifers I have pushed or dug out (more than a few). A bunch of less than 4" trees I could dig out with the BX BH in minutes and not put down the outriggers. That is with 500# of ballast in the FEL to stabilize.

Another key element is what is your budget and how fast do want to get it done. small equipment will get it done but take longer.

Ron

/ Removing christmas trees stumps #8  
Christmas trees stumps should pretty small... A dozer with a root rake on front would probably be the best machine for the job.

/ Removing christmas trees stumps #9  
If the stumps are 4" your tractor is fine the more wet the soil the better after a rain would be best. Reny dozer if they are bigger you'll need the dozer at least two days,

/ Removing christmas trees stumps #10  
I think a mini x with a thumb would work fine. I would expect to be able to do maybe 2 acres a day pretty easily.