Backhoe 3pt hitch Backhoe takes it's toll

/ 3pt hitch Backhoe takes it's toll #11  
If I remember correctly there was a upgrade kit that was used on some of the Kubotas because the 3 point hitch backhoes where actually breaking the transmission housing where the top link connects.

/ 3pt hitch Backhoe takes it's toll #12  
If I remember correctly there was a upgrade kit that was used on some of the Kubotas because the 3 point hitch backhoes where actually breaking the transmission housing where the top link connects.
Yup, it was a larger top link mount on the B series, tied into a few more bolt holes. That was when kubota was offering 3pt BHs, I haven't seen them listed so I'm guessing they got away from them now that they offer sub frame mounted on pretty much every model.

/ 3pt hitch Backhoe takes it's toll #13  
Yup, it was a larger top link mount on the B series, tied into a few more bolt holes. That was when kubota was offering 3pt BHs, I haven't seen them listed so I'm guessing they got away from them now that they offer sub frame mounted on pretty much every model.

There are/were reinforcing kits for both B and L models. I added reinforcement on my L4610 because we were using a logging winch, which can also put heavy loads on the toplink attachment point on the rear end. The later Grand L's underwent a complete redesign of the 3 point hydraulics; the new design did not need reinforcing, but it looks like there are still some models with the old 3 point design (For example: L4701, MX series, maybe others). Dunno if there are still reinforcing kits offered.

There are stories of operators being injured or killed when something broke in the toplink connection on a 3 point hoe, as the operator is in a very exposed position should that happen.

/ 3pt hitch Backhoe takes it's toll #14  
definately add a sub-rame. I have a 3pt backhoe on an old ford 850 and welded up my own sub-frame. it is for sure needed.

/ 3pt hitch Backhoe takes it's toll #15  
When I had a Woods 3pt backhoe there was a big warning to only use their special toplink pin and no other. Also, there was a warning to, I think, either not have a ROPS or to make sure you had sufficient clearance so you weren't crushed if the pin let go. .

I have a JD 790 TLB and got a special Deere ROPS extension that raised the height of it about a foot. That has a subframe.

/ 3pt hitch Backhoe takes it's toll #16  
I bought the Woodmax 6600 about 2 1/2 years ago for my Kubota B7500. The 6600 is listed as weighing in at 995 pounds (the 8600 is 1150). Before I installed it the first time I did purchase the heavy duty top link bracket and the support frame kit from my dealer. I have dug up over 30 tree stumps and never had a problem; it is a powerful backhoe for it's size. But I do recall that my Woodmax hoe did not come with a pin to make the top point connector on the tractor, you had to supply your own. I'm thinking that the OP likely had a cheap (think Chinese) top link pin to have it bend that much. The problem would further be exasperated if the pin were longer than necessary. I use the same short top link pin for the backhoe as for all of my other 3 point attachments and it is not bent in the least.

/ 3pt hitch Backhoe takes it's toll #17  
AI have been using a Woods 750 3-point hitch mounted backhoe on my Kubota L4200 for nineteen years without a problem. And believe me our area has a lot of hardpan and rocks. It has seen a lot of trench digging for laying drain tile and such. So a 3-point hitch mounted backhoe can and will dig more than top soil without a problem for some compact tractors. A blanket statement to the contrary is not accurate.

My subframe-mount Woods BH9000 throws my L4200 around like so much tissue paper. I could imagine the beating it would give to a 3pt. OTOH, the subframe mount still uses a toplink and pin, and the topmost receiver hole on the tractor was well-elongated when I got it, I assume from using the backhoe, although I've moved the connection to the middle hole, and haven't seen any additional wear.

/ 3pt hitch Backhoe takes it's toll #18  
I had my Woodmax 8600 backhoe hooked up to the L3540. It weighs about 1,000 lbs. While it was mounted I dug out 5 medium to small stumps and various large rocks. I dismounted the backhoe this past weekend and this is what the toplink pin looked like - Thankfully it's an inexpensive part to replace and I believe it's designed as a wear item.
View attachment 503734

I took the lower arms off also to examine the attachment pins. Those looked fine. Passing along for those who are considering a 3pt backhoe.

I have been in the slow process of converting to a subframe mount. After looking at this pin, I don't think I'll use the backhoe again until I complete this conversion.

HP

That sure looks like the classic case of what can happen when a 3 pt. backhoe is used without first disabling the 3 pt's draft control lever. If so, you are one very lucky guy. A kid at my JD dealer wasn't.
rScotty

/ 3pt hitch Backhoe takes it's toll #19  
That sure looks like the classic case of what can happen when a 3 pt. backhoe is used without first disabling the 3 pt's draft control lever. If so, you are one very lucky guy. A kid at my JD dealer wasn't.
rScotty
Good point! :thumbsup:

I recall having to do that years back when using my Woods 3 pt. backhoe on my IH 354 tractor. Had to disable the 3pt's draft control.

/ 3pt hitch Backhoe takes it's toll #20  
I just bought a WoodMaxx 8600 3pth backhoe for my L3940 tractor. Reading the threads, I see people are mentioning about a heavy duty top link bracket and the support frame kit for Kubota tractors. Could somebody post a picture or a link how these look installed? Just want to confirm if I need one for my tractor as in one of the post somebody mentioned that the Kubota already redesigned that for L series tractors and don't need it.
Thanks.