Mowing Is a 7 ft dual spindle Bush Hog rotary cutter my best choice?

/ Is a 7 ft dual spindle Bush Hog rotary cutter my best choice? #11  
There was a discussion on that SQ84T a few years ago started by a member who was about to buy one or a new owner of one. I think I replied to it, if that would help narrow your search.

I almost bought one ten years ago or so. Dealers wanted in the low $2K range at the time. Don't remember list price. At the time, they were rated up to 1 inch saplings. The blades were definitely lighter than a conventional cutter. (Probably spindles too) One of the reasons that 8 footer is so much heavier might be that it's rated for thicker saplings.

Still, it would work great for most of my stuff. And you could shift it left to cover your tire, at some expense to the offset.

/ Is a 7 ft dual spindle Bush Hog rotary cutter my best choice?
Pure coincidence, but if I shift it left by 3 inches to cover the left tire, it then extends 48" to the right. Exact same as an 8 ft cutter would.

So the choice seems mostly if I want the extra 500 lbs banging around on the back, and 1 ft more cutting width.

/ Is a 7 ft dual spindle Bush Hog rotary cutter my best choice? #13  
That's not just wasted weight, it's because the woods is a heavier built mower. Heavier usually means better and less chance for damage. 1200 lbs isn't that much and the rear tail wheels carry a bunch when mowing

Brett

/ Is a 7 ft dual spindle Bush Hog rotary cutter my best choice? #14  
I agree with what most have said on here. The woods unit is likely a better quality unit. Yes it is coincidentally heavier because it is bigger, but it likely also uses heavier gauge metal. Your engine May notice the extra foot of which overall, but that would mean that you would just travel a bit slower to compensate. Either way you would likely still cut and around the same amount of time, maybe a bit faster with the extra foot.

$1,000 is a lot of extra money to spend for one foot. You're spending 25% more for only 12% more size. But, if this is a long-term purchase that has the opportunity to grow with your machine Choice should you ever get a larger tractor, then the 8-footer will fit the bill.

I had a twin spindle 8-footer that was belt-driven, pull-type not 3-point type, that I used with my 1648 and my 1652. Neither tractor had any problem handling that cutter. However, I have heard people say on here that pull-type units are easier on engine horsepower than three point units, though I cannot compare personally.

/ Is a 7 ft dual spindle Bush Hog rotary cutter my best choice? #15  
Bush Hog's description of the SQ84T has me scratching my head. On this webpage They say in the features tab that it has "9-feet 9-inches Cutting Width." Not sure how they do that with a unit that the Specifications tab says is 7-feet 3-inches wide.

Same tab says the Minimum Tractor HP is 35–50 PTO, while at the top of the description it says "The SQ84T is a lighter 7-feet twin spindle cutter for 25 to 50 PTO HP tractors."

Looks like they need a proof-reader. :eek:

/ Is a 7 ft dual spindle Bush Hog rotary cutter my best choice? #16  
The 84T is a dual gearbox 7 footer with two blades. I would say if your just cutting grass get that model. You mowing time is decided by HORSEPOWER not how wide your mower is. You'll be able to go a bit faster with the smaller mower and make up the time. If your mowing thick grass and brush that 44.5 pto power will be the factor on how long it takes, not if your using a 6 or 7 or 8 foot mower. 15 acres will take awhile to mow. You'll like that little bit of offset too if you have limbs hanging down you want to mow under.

/ Is a 7 ft dual spindle Bush Hog rotary cutter my best choice? #17  
The 84T is a dual gearbox 7 footer with two blades. I would say if your just cutting grass get that model. You mowing time is decided by HORSEPOWER not how wide your mower is. You'll be able to go a bit faster with the smaller mower and make up the time. If your mowing thick grass and brush that 44.5 pto power will be the factor on how long it takes, not if your using a 6 or 7 or 8 foot mower. 15 acres will take awhile to mow. You'll like that little bit of offset too if you have limbs hanging down you want to mow under.
Both numbers apply, horsepower and width. You can go faster with a narrower mower or slower with a wider mower , depending on the grass. All in all, the time may be equal. Just depends on how much you need to slow down when the grass gets very thick.

/ Is a 7 ft dual spindle Bush Hog rotary cutter my best choice? #18  
If it comes down to the extra $$, It seem's like you could off-set your mower those few inches to cover your tracks with the B/H mower.
I like both brands and a 8' mower myself, and the weight is really only a concern during transport. If you're still un-decided, look at the deck & skirt thickness, usually in #gauge, remember the smaller number is thicker. This could be the last mower you ever need to buy & heavy, generally = sturdy.

/ Is a 7 ft dual spindle Bush Hog rotary cutter my best choice?
I think I am gravitating to the more heavy duty 8 foot Woods model. I have bush hogged my smaller Nevada property using my SCUT GC1710 with a Woods RCR 4 foot mower, and the limiting factor is usually ME getting tired of being bumped all over the place. So I slow down.

I have never bush hogged this larger property, but it seems like the terrain is similar and I doubt I will be doing any high speed passes, if you know what I mean. The cab is much nicer than open station, and it has suspension in the seat. So if it takes a little longer, well, I will just get to listen to the rest of the CD I guess. LOL of course.

I really appreciate all the good advice and thoughtful insight. +/- $1,000 is not a concern if it means buying the unit best suited to my needs and for long term use. I learned long ago you only pay for it once, but then use it for a long time thereafter.

/ Is a 7 ft dual spindle Bush Hog rotary cutter my best choice? #20  
I think you are making a logical, wise decision.

I'm kinda OCD about cutting. I am critical of quality cut. I don't go for speed. So a larger cutter always fits my needs. :)