Mowing Is a 7 ft dual spindle Bush Hog rotary cutter my best choice?

/ Is a 7 ft dual spindle Bush Hog rotary cutter my best choice? #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I've narrowed my choices down two rotary cutters, using 3 point, Category 1 hitch. This is to cut 12-15 acres of pasture a few times a year for weed control. Few saplings, mostly weeds. Mostly level, only moderate slope. Pasture is lined by a forest so some backing into tight areas between trees will be needed. Tractor is Massey 1758, cab model, about 6,500 pounds, with 45 pto horsepower.

1. Bush Hog SQ84T, "squealer" model, requires 35-50 pto horsepower, 7 foot width, 720 lbs. It has a 9 in offset to the right.
2. Woods MDS8.30, requires 45-100 pto horsepower, 8 foot width, 1,200 lbs, no offset.

I'm leaning toward the Bush Hog, even though the Woods is probably beefier. It seems the lighter weight will put less stress on my 3 point hitch and tractor, although at the cost of 1 foot of cutting width. And although the 9 inch offset adds a potential weak spot on its frame, the offset (especially with a cab model) seems much better when mowing around trees or obstacles. Finally, I think the Massey spec is actually 44.5 pto horsepower. I'm leery of being at the exact bottom end of the recommended PTO horsepower on the Woods.

Things are starting to grow here, and I have to decide. Do you think I'm on the right track with the Bush Hog?

/ Is a 7 ft dual spindle Bush Hog rotary cutter my best choice? #2  
I'd say go with the woods. The 8' twin spindle will be shorter. To me it seems to take less power to operate, will be a larger cut and at 1200 lbs seems heavier built. I've had both and didn't like my mx7, like the mx8 though

Brett

/ Is a 7 ft dual spindle Bush Hog rotary cutter my best choice?
Agree on the single vs twin comparison. These are both twin spindle, so dimensions are similar. I'm trying to decide if having 500 more pounds bouncing around on the 3 pt hitch is worth 1 extra foot of cut? (720 lbs vs 1,200)

/ Is a 7 ft dual spindle Bush Hog rotary cutter my best choice? #4  
We sell Bush Hog as well as Land Pride is my favorite because of the hitch! I do like the double spindle! Two tail wheels mean less bouncing around so you can often mow a little faster and being tighter to the tractor it takes less weight on the front to counterbalance.

/ Is a 7 ft dual spindle Bush Hog rotary cutter my best choice? #5  
Price difference?

/ Is a 7 ft dual spindle Bush Hog rotary cutter my best choice? #6  
Not being familiar with your tractor, will a 7' cutter with 9" offset to the right cover the left tires?

Again, not being familiar with your tractor, will it carry the heavier cutter without having to add front end weight?

I'm a go big guy, I'd want the extra foot of cut. But as TSO mentioned, what does that cost?

Need to check prices with a dealer. But internet pricing for the Bush Hog 7 foot is about $4,000, or $5,000 for the Woods 8ft.

A 7 foot cutter offset 9 inches right does 33" of cutting to the left of centerline, and 51" to the right. An 8 footer would be 48/48. So even with the offset it gains only 3" over the 8 foot model, plus maybe the left side won't cover. I'll measure the tractor and tires.

I have ballast for the front, either using a heavy duty grapple or bucket. Most cutting is in open spaces so I can easily have the loader on.

/ Is a 7 ft dual spindle Bush Hog rotary cutter my best choice? #8  
Need to check prices with a dealer. But internet pricing for the Bush Hog 7 foot is about $4,000, or $5,000 for the Woods 8ft.

A 7 foot cutter offset 9 inches right does 33" of cutting to the left of centerline, and 51" to the right. An 8 footer would be 48/48. So even with the offset it gains only 3" over the 8 foot model, plus maybe the left side won't cover. I'll measure the tractor and tires.

I have ballast for the front, either using a heavy duty grapple or bucket. Most cutting is in open spaces so I can easily have the loader on.

If spending $4K, another $1K to get the extra width and definitely stronger cutter, that would be an easy decision for me.

You are right about the 33" of cutting to the left, that was my concern. So the 8 footer would actually have 15" more reach to the left.

For the offset to work without not covering your tracks your tractor can only have an overall rear track width of 66". I highly suggest you avoid a cutter that won't cover your tracks on both sides.

I use an offset 7' flail on my Ford. Doesn't cover my left tire. I use it cutting road banks along fences. Would gladly trade it for an 8ft centered. Only have $300 in it so I get by.

/ Is a 7 ft dual spindle Bush Hog rotary cutter my best choice? #9  
If a typical single spindle cutter is 5 or 6 feet, I would not spend the extra on an extra spindle for another foot. More complexity to deal with as well. We had a trail type Liliston 10 foot, 3 spindle once upon a time. Worked well with 42 PTO hp.

To me, width is everything. Don't forget, you don't cut six feet with a six foot mower on subsequent passes. You might not even get five feet.

I measured. Thanks for the insight. The tire width is about 6 feet. I'd have 3 inches +/- of outside tire not covered by the 7 foot mower on the left side. Still concerned about 1,200 lbs bouncing around on the 3pt hitch. Hopefully the brand new shiny tractor was properly engineered for that .....