New Tractor, Must Do's?

/ New Tractor, Must Do's? #21  
Just a gentle reminder to check the torque on your wheel lugs.

Trust but verify. :)

And the loader mounting bolts too!. both are often overlooked. The 1000 lbs rear weight sounds about right for that size rig. But check your manual if you have one.

/ New Tractor, Must Do's? #22  
As for things to do, check every bolt on the machine for tightness especially the wheel lug bolts and your FEL/Backhoe frame mounting bolts. IF it is hard to get too, it is more than likely loose. I found two on my LS loader frame that were up behind the fuel tank that were not even hand tight. Most bolts will stretch a bit upon initial tightening and loosen up a bit. Check when you first get your tractor and again at 50 hours and then again every 100 hours of use.

Is there a rule of thumb for torque values for various size bolts? I want to check torque on my new loader and on the whole JD2520 tractor I just bought used but I don't have specific torque values for anything except the loader mounts which I installed myself after getting the install instructions from the dealer.

Or are you just talking about "put a wrench on it and give it a tug to make sure it doesn't move very easily" seat-of-the-pants type tightening?

Rob

/ New Tractor, Must Do's? #23  
Is there a rule of thumb for torque values for various size bolts? I want to check torque on my new loader and on the whole JD2520 tractor I just bought used but I don't have specific torque values for anything except the loader mounts which I installed myself after getting the install instructions from the dealer.

Or are you just talking about "put a wrench on it and give it a tug to make sure it doesn't move very easily" seat-of-the-pants type tightening?

Rob

If you can't find anything in your manual, you can use the general torque settings for the particular size of fastener. Use Google, there are charts showing proper torques for each size of fastener.

/ New Tractor, Must Do's? #24  
Congrats on the new tractor! I almost bought the 1533, I'm very fond of that line

/ New Tractor, Must Do's? #25  
If you want more specific advice on mods for your tractor, tell us a bit about how you will be using it.

/ New Tractor, Must Do's? #26  
Must Do's -read your manual front to back and don't skip the warning, for every warning sticker you see that means someone out there has injured or hurt them self severely.

/ New Tractor, Must Do's? #27  
Must Do's -read your manual front to back and don't skip the warning, for every warning sticker you see that means someone out there has injured or hurt them self severely.

I am OCD about reading manuals. When I buy a machine I get the manual and read it front to back. Always learn something.

/ New Tractor, Must Do's? #28  
Brush guard on the front. That grapple will be handy. But easy to mess up the front of that new rig when a limb pokes thru.
Lights on the ROP front and back.
Fire extinguisher.
Tool box.

/ New Tractor, Must Do's? #29  
Agree 100 % with ovrszd. I am constantly looking at mine. Sometimes 3 or 4 times to make sure I read it right. Congrats on the tractor. lots of future enjoyment for you.

/ New Tractor, Must Do's? #30  
If you can't find anything in your manual, you can use the general torque settings for the particular size of fastener. Use Google, there are charts showing proper torques for each size of fastener.

Most overlooked when useing a torque chart is if the bolt is lubricated or dry, there are different torque values for both. You can way over torque a lubricated bolt.