New Tractor, Must Do's?

/ New Tractor, Must Do's? #1  

Indygunworks

Silver Member
Tractor
1980 Ford 340
After rebates and tax, cash price on this guy was right near 28,500 financed through farm credit services. (to get the cash price). Grapple is a wildcat 48" root rake series E. Rear tires are fluid filled. Everything you see in the first picture weighs 5,120 pounds on the certified scales at the local grain elevator. Tractor is a Mahindra 1526.

I do plan on a PTB, and will probably get that ordered tomorrow. Since I will already be drilling into the bucket, what other modifications should I be making right off the bat?

Enjoy.

/ New Tractor, Must Do's? #2  
Nice! Must dos? Keep it parked indoors!

/ New Tractor, Must Do's? #3  
Congrats on the new tractor!!!! She's a Beaut!!!!!

What is a PTB?

/ New Tractor, Must Do's? #4  
Must do's come up on an as needed basis. Without knowing the particular model and options, it's hard to say. Some of the mods I have done on a few tractors...

Bucket teeth.
Shid plate to protect hydraulic filter and hoses
More toolbox storage
Quick hitch hooks for 3ph
More attachments
Spaced wheels widest cause I do operate on slopes
Come up with a suitable counterweight for times when your backhoe is off.

/ New Tractor, Must Do's?
PBT is Piranha tooth bar

Are there any good options for how/where to mount toolboxs?

Make and model are listed in the OP, but I will say it again. Its a Mahindra 1526.

Rear tires are fluid filled and probably add just under 1000 pounds of rear ballast. Is that not enough?

/ New Tractor, Must Do's? #6  
Just a gentle reminder to check the torque on your wheel lugs.

Trust but verify. :)

/ New Tractor, Must Do's? #7  
Congrat's on the shiny new tractor! There are literally dozens of mod's you can make to tractors nowadays, but right off the bat I would suggest adding a tool box, a fire extinguisher, and some chain grabs's on the bucket. You can get weld-on or bolt-on chain grabs now. Also, a bucket, or tube, or box to carry the chains in is quite handy too. If you think you'll be working late, then some extra lights are good too. That's just for starters. From there you can really pimp it out with all sorts of ideas found on the "Customization" and "Build it Yourself" forums. :thumbsup: Good luck!

/ New Tractor, Must Do's? #8  
View attachment 504561Add expanded metal or something similar to your grill guard. It help protect the radiator, battery etc when you use the grapple.

Very nice unit.

/ New Tractor, Must Do's? #9  
In order of importance:

Load tires
Grille guard screen
fire extinguisher
extra LED lights front / rear
Bucket hooks

I'd also lube all pivot points on shift linkage and similar. These are typically dry from the factory.
Do store it in a completely enclosed building if you can. Almost eliminates the aging process in my experience.

Enjoy that great looking new machine.

/ New Tractor, Must Do's? #10  
When I said I didn't know the model, that was mentioned as I am not familiar with it. So I don't know it's ins and outs and weather or not things I have done to different tractors In The past would apply. Don't know what it's got for toolboxes already, or where to mount. Someone more familiar with that model will be of more help.