KUBOTA L3800 log trailer sizing

/ KUBOTA L3800 log trailer sizing #1  

eyi

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
Hi all

Any thoughts on which log grapple trailer would perfectly fit my small 38 hp tractor size ? What are the metrics I have to look at, size, independant hydraulic, lifting capacity, weigth ?

I am at the beginning of the process, tough to see what I need.

Thanks

/ KUBOTA L3800 log trailer sizing #2  
My concern would be the total weight pushing the tractor on a down hill.Logs get heavy real fast ,plus the weight of the trailer itself.

/ KUBOTA L3800 log trailer sizing
Very good point. I have some good slopes but I think I'm able to avoid them with this setup!

Thanks Nybirdman

/ KUBOTA L3800 log trailer sizing #4  
My concern would be the total weight pushing the tractor on a down hill.Logs get heavy real fast ,plus the weight of the trailer itself.
Yep, I learned that lesson the hard way years ago. Thankfully it didn't end in a disaster.

I converted an old hay wagon to haul Red Oak tops cut for firewood. Coming down a rather steep grade on a logging road covered with leaves, the tractor couldn't hold back the weight and lost tractions. Long story short, as I was picking up speed and about to jump from the tractor, the tractor and wagon jackknifed and end up wedged against a couple of trees. And I got banged up a little.

Thankfully nothing was damaged accept the wagon tongue and my black and blue leg. We had to cut one of the trees down to free the tractor and used the neighbors J.D. 4020 to finish bringing the wagon load of wood down off the hill. Lesson learned and never forgotten. ;)

/ KUBOTA L3800 log trailer sizing #5  
Those Log Loader trailers look like the cats meow but every time I look at them I come to the same conclusion - a small tractor can only handle a small trailer. If I look at the loader and trailer specs on the smaller loader/trailers they are very disappointing - to me at least. Very short reach, very limited lift capability, and short trailer beds. I cut a lot of fir which is small wood. Mostly 10 and 12 foot logs with top end diameters from 6 to 14 inches on average and those smaller trailers don't seem like they could do the job. Maybe I am wrong !! Let me know. For the money I would want more capability than I need not less.

gg

Gordon,

I've read many of your posts, those are always very interesting. I always come back to this grapple log trailer but never pulled the trigger finally. And now...you're raising doubts once again !!

Problem is I don't have any valuable trailer for now. Yes i have pallet forks. Even if I had a trailer how could I load it with the forks while it is pined behind the tractor ? Or how could i pin it on the tractor while it is loaded with wood. It' s like if i needed 2 tractors and a trailer or....a grapple trailer ?

My feeling is the best kit would be a logging whinch to bring the logs in loading areas and a grapple trailer to bring them in a truck loading area ??

Am I wrong ? Is my tractor too small for it ?

Thanks for your time

/ KUBOTA L3800 log trailer sizing #7  
Am I wrong ? Is my tractor too small for it ?

No you are not wrong !! I did not mean to discourage you. If I did I apologize. I was just voicing my opinion on my particular situation with the wood I cut, the terrain I work on, and the small tractor I have. I was just hoping that you would read my comments and that would cause you to double check that the trailer/loader you are interested in is big enough to handle your wood the way you want it to but it is not to big for your tractor operating on the terrain you have. They are a lot of money and to be dissatisfied would be a real bummer.

It really comes down to your set of expectations and the conditions you operate in, which I know nothing about. I do understand your predicament with loading a trailer with one tractor. It makes it difficult when you can't skid all the way out to a truck road.

gg

/ KUBOTA L3800 log trailer sizing #8  
How about a "Farmi" type log winch and a grapple for the tractor to load trucks?

No worry about discouraging me, I'm here because I want others opinion and I respect them. In addition I appreciate people taking time to help others.

...that Farmi type whinch... this reminds me that's probably the first thing I should buy and see what I can accomplish with it. That's true I could skid logs and then load it with my forks. I probably should try it and see if I can work it out without the grapple log trailer.

/ KUBOTA L3800 log trailer sizing #10  
That sounds like a good idea. Especially since you listed a winch as part of your tool kit.

gg