3-Point Hitch Size of disc harrow can a 25hp Kioti handle?

/ Size of disc harrow can a 25hp Kioti handle? #1  

Madlerp

Tractor
Kioti CK25HST
Sorry if this is a newbie question but hey I am one!
Need to know if a Kioti 25hst can handle a 6 foot disc harrow. Don't want to find out it can't once I buy it.
It handles a 5ft brush hog on hills.
Thanks!

Preston:confused3::confused3:

/ Size of disc harrow can a 25hp Kioti handle? #2  
I would suggest a roto-tiller for that size tractor.One pass and done versus six or seven with discs.

/ Size of disc harrow can a 25hp Kioti handle? #3  
I agree about the tiller. If you are set on a disc, though, the answer is a resounding "maybe". First, there's a huge range of disc harrows available. Second, there's an equally huge variety of soil types and conditions. Third, what kind of tires you have will make a big difference. There's discs heavy enough, and soil hard enough that you'd want a 150 HP tractor on an 8' disc. There's light enough discs and sandy enough soil that your tractor could pull an 8'er.

/ Size of disc harrow can a 25hp Kioti handle? #4  
How many blades and what diameter on the disc harrows you are are considering?
If it handles the 5 ft brush hog it should have no problem with a 20 blade disk where the disks are 18" diameter.
To pull it properly you will need wheel weights or ballasted tires.

Sorry if this is a newbie question but hey I am one!
Need to know if a Kioti 25hst can handle a 6 foot disc harrow. Don't want to find out it can't once I buy it.
It handles a 5ft brush hog on hills.
Thanks!

Preston:confused3::confused3:

/ Size of disc harrow can a 25hp Kioti handle? #5  
Another vote for a tiller, a forward rotation tiller 48" to 54" would be a good fit. I don't think you will be happy with a 6' disc you can't pull at full depth. A tiller will push the tractor forward as it works the soil but you can take full advantage of the engine power without the loss of traction and handling. A lot more compact and less room to store too.

/ Size of disc harrow can a 25hp Kioti handle? #7  
I am debating this very issue too. I have a New Holland 25 horse. I have come down on the side of the tiller. Still haven not found a used one near by. So may be getting a new one this week. Everything I have read is just that the SCUT does not have enough weight/power to pull a disc that is going to get any real work done.

As I think about having the tiller for the one project I know I need it for, I start to think about how useful it will be with a few other projects I have in mind down the road..... like digging out the topsoil to put in a road (well ok driveway, but same diff).

Wife wants an out door riding arena. Again step one - remove top soil. Tilling it first will make removal easier with tractor and bucket.

/ Size of disc harrow can a 25hp Kioti handle? #8  
How many blades and what diameter on the disc harrows you are are considering?
If it handles the 5 ft brush hog it should have no problem with a 20 blade disk where the disks are 18" diameter.
To pull it properly you will need wheel weights or ballasted tires.

I have sandy-loam in Florida. The OP probably has relatively tough plains soil in Colorado.
I have owned/operated a Howse 16/18" Disc Harrow with 9" pan spacing.
In my opinion a 3,000 pound, bare tractor, CK25 will pull a similar Disc Harrow in 4-WD mode performing SECONDARY TILLAGE easily. A lighter tractor would stall. It probably would take AT LEAST two passes with a Disc Harrow with 18" diameter pans to mix and level previously plowed, plains soil.

A Disc Harrow with 18" diameter pans will be unable to break new ground in PRIMARY TILLAGE, regardless of tractor.
It takes a Disc Harrow with minimum 22" pans to perform PRIMARY TILLAGE tasks, better 24" pans.

A PTO powered roto-tiller will probably perform your (unspecified) tasks better.

I might make a different recommendation if OP is more specific on the tasks he wants to accomplish and how deep he wants to penetrate his soil.

MORE: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/308251-disc-harrow-selection-18-45-a.html?highlight=

[ A Rotary Cutter/Bush Hog is NOT a ground contact implement. An R/C is supported above the ground by the tractor tires and R/C tail wheel.]

Last edited:
   / Size of disc harrow can a 25hp Kioti handle? #9  
I have a 40HP Kioti with a 7 ft Disc (old 1950s) solid, heavy cast disc, it is hard to break up new ground for my 40HP Kioti it will do it but it really works the tractor and I have to make multiple passes over and over, I wouldn't want to try with much less HP. It takes a lot to disc up new ground plus the newer disc harrows don't have the weight anymore to do the job in the first place. Mine does great on previous tilled ground that we farm. I would highly recommend a tiller, I just picked up a King Kutter from Rural King with their 12% rebate sale. I think a tiller would fit your situation better IMO Good luck

/ Size of disc harrow can a 25hp Kioti handle? #10