Best way to put new yard in

/ Best way to put new yard in #1  

wisconsinguy

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2210
Hi

I thought I'd get some opinions on putting in a yard. I have about 1 acre to do. I've cut the weeds and tilled and raked it with a landscape rake. Its pretty much bare dirt now. I've been digging some black dirt out of the woods and covering some bad areas. Whats the best way to spread and level out the black dirt? How do I get one of them nice smooth lawns?

thanks for any help
Phil

/ Best way to put new yard in #2  
Use your Landscape rake like a Box Blade and you will have it smooth and level in no time. I am no expert but this worked for me.

/ Best way to put new yard in
I have a landscape rake with guide wheels is it best to set the wheels so there is an inch or two between the rake and ground, will this leave a nice layer of black dirt.?

Phil

/ Best way to put new yard in #4  
Phil

Yes. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You may have to adjust the 1" clearance to get the exact thickness of topsoil you want. I helped my neighbor do about 3/4 acres a couple of weeks ago. With the gage wheels set to let the tines just clear the ground. I used the top link to set the final clearance to get about 1" of topsoil.

/ Best way to put new yard in #5  
I like lawns that are grass rather than dirt. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Best way to put new yard in #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I like lawns that are grass rather than dirt. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

If it's dirt, it can't be a lawn now can it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

/ Best way to put new yard in #7  
I would suggest lots of rotatilling in different directions. The tiller will move a little dirt each pass and eventually level things out without a lot of compaction.

Egon

/ Best way to put new yard in #8  
Like the others have said, use your landscape rake. Once you get things where you want them turn the rake around backwards and shorten the top link for a very non-aggressive cut. If you can set your tph arms for lateral float use that as well to prevent any gouging (rake set straight, not angled). A few passes like that should have everything in good shape. I've used the same set up to rake the grass seed in after sowing. Best bet is to sow seed, rake it in, sow some more and rake once more. Then it's water, water, water /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Best way to put new yard in
Thanks guys...looks like the rake will be the tool of choice. Now if if will quit raining. It doesn't rain all spring till you start to do something outside.

Phil

/ Best way to put new yard in #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="red">( I like lawns that are grass rather than dirt. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

<font color="blue">If it's dirt, it can't be a lawn now can it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. </font>)</font>

Obviously Gerard you have never seen my Lawn. It is dirt and it must be a lawn because one of the uses for my new tractor will be mowing and grading the lawn. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Here, if it doesn't have cactus or yucca then it is lawn.

Mike