Repairing Hog Damage.

/ Repairing Hog Damage. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
I have a lot of hog damage in my fields. I work them (hogs) over whenever I can. They have pretty much gone nocturnal.

Can't get a night or bait permit during deer or turkey season. This year night hunting doesn't need a permit during the summer but doesn't help right now.

Anyway, aside from shooting every one I can, I need to figure out if repairing damage is worth the effort and fuel.

Rough fields are no fun to cut. My Kubota L5740 bounces terribly. The JD 2355 handles it better but still bounces and I have to go slow. The North Field took 9.5 hours to cut the last time (10' Bush Hog).

Best description of the damage would be to imagine someone driving randomly throughout the field and dropping a plow whenever/wherever he felt like it.

I tried my LPGS, including putting the scarifiers down. Was slow and not much help until multiple (9-10) passes.

Landscape rake was not much better.

Will try the disc when things are dry enough. Muddy ground clogs the disc too much (but recommendations for chain - from this forum - seem to have fixed).

Most of the fields are in CRP so I can't cut them until July. Gives me time to think this thing thru. I suspect that, whatever I do, I'll have to cut them first. Glad the wife will help with "Her" tractor (the Kubota has a cab).

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Last edited:
   / Repairing Hog Damage. #2  
My father in law has the same problem. He spent a bunch of effort fixing a hay field and a year later it was all torn up again. My recommendation would be to do nothing until the hog population is under control (I know, maybe never).

If the fields are in CRP, why does it matter if they are torn up?

/ Repairing Hog Damage. #3  
How big is the pasture? A pair of low slung electrified wires at about 6" and 18" is what my friend puts around his fields in TX. He says it has made all the difference. Of course, his is alfalfa, not CRP, so it is definitely worth it to him.

/ Repairing Hog Damage. #4  
Only you can determine whether repairing the hog damage is worth it to you. It's going to be a constant and repetitious battle if your neighbors aren't joining in the fight to control the hog population. Just like our problems with the exploding coyote population here in PA.

/ Repairing Hog Damage.
I have two of the fields in CRP. One is 33.8 acres, the other is 4.5 acres. I also have a 10.6 acre field that is not in CRP.

I would not have put anything in CRP but had to agree to keep the contract going as part of the purchase. I want to fix the damage because:

1 - Under the CRP contract, I have to control the "woody" plants. That means mowing and spraying. Neither is pleasant with the current damage.
2 - Once out of the CRP (2020), I'd like to make my own use of the fields.
3 - I have a narrow, long shooting range just outside the CRP and I'd like to be able to drive to the targets without feeling like I was going to lose a tooth.
4 - It is extremely annoying.

I know it will be a never ending problem but I'd at least like to be able to stay on top of it. Once I can hunt hogs at night, I can usually keep the damage down somewhat.

May turn out that this is just something I have to live with but I'd like to be able to fix some of it. Some areas are so bad that they are difficult to walk on.

Now that we know the why, does anyone have any recommendations on the how?

/ Repairing Hog Damage. #6  
The biggest offset disc your tractor can pull with an I beam drug behind it. Wait until the soil has the optimal moisture content (in my soil that would be a week after a good rain in the summer) and get ready for a long boring day or two.

If there is a dirt farmer near by maybe you could pay him to plow your field up when he plows his.

Sorry, I know next to nothing about CRP land so that's why I asked. Makes sense now.

/ Repairing Hog Damage.
Thanks. I'll see if I can find an I beam and give that a try.

I know I'll have some long, boring days.

/ Repairing Hog Damage. #8  
BTW, I have tractor envy for your JD 2355

/ Repairing Hog Damage. #9  
Obviously, because of my location, I, FORTUNATELY, have no experience with hogs. However, I've seen the pics posted here on TBN of what they can do. I would continue to research methods/means of excluding the hogs from your pastures. You might find the ideal solution for "pasture repair" but without excluding the hogs you could end up with constantly tilled ground rather than a green pasture.

/ Repairing Hog Damage. #10  
I would look into a wildlife damage application as this site suggests. Feral Hogs | Outdoor Alabama
Find out if you can let some trappers or game hunters get some of them.

Thank goodness here in FL they are NOT considered game. We can shoot or trap them day or night, 24/7, 365 days. I still haven't managed to get rid of all of them but they finally quit coming in my yard. As I finally get the rest of my property cleaned up I will face them again. Mine have become trap smart and will no longer come near the trap.

My latest yard problem has been armadillos. I have shot two of them this week. They were digging football size holes in my yard.