Mowing City Slicker needs eduction on taking care of land

/ City Slicker needs eduction on taking care of land #1  

radar026

Tractor
none
I purchased 46 acres in the country. As an investment, and a place to be outside and let kids ride 4 wheelers, have campfires etc. Hoping to buy adjoining nearby home as a rental and maybe retire here (hard work makes us live longer right)?

I need education on how to care for the property and how to mow it. If you can be so kind to provide or point me who to specifically talk to (not a neighbor).

Most of the land is rented to neighbor for cattle grazing. The front 3-4 acres is what I want to take care of. It is flat, few trees, near the fence line, two out buildings next to fence, and a irregular shape. The old tree's are so cool but much underbrush. With attention this property will look amazing.

Do I need to use herbicides? I had no plans to do anything other than mow it. What is the best option/tool for mowing? We have busy kids and realistically will mow 1-2x's month. Budget: can get a loan if that is the right choice but I hate debt and look for the BEST, cheapest option first. Like the idea of old tractor but have no mechanical education (willing to learn). Remember I don't know what is involved with farm machinery so please consider maintenance of machine and any safety concerns in suggestions; oh and what horsepower is needed?

#1 priority: time, I don't want to spend 3hours mowing
#2 reliability: b/c it supports #1
#3 cost: I have heard zero turns about 5k, small tractors 15k, this is feasible, but want to spend as little as needed lol.

Thank you for any wisdom you care to share to this "what the H-E- double L am I doing" mamma.
-Darlene

/ City Slicker needs eduction on taking care of land #2  
Hey there
Kinda funny
I am from the STL area and just joined today seeking new tractor purchase advise. I am upgrading from a MF 231 (38HP diesel) to a newer 40hp hydro unit. My current tractor is for sale if your interested. It is a 99 Massey Ferguson 231 with 1019 hours on it. It is turn key ready tractor. I have been offered 6500 trade in. Looking to sell for 7k. Shoot me a PM if your interested.

However 3-4 acres is not to terribly much to mow MF 231 be more tractor then what you need. If its thick an nasty now you could always negotiate with a local to bush hog it then buy a commercial zero turn to maintain.. If mowing is all you want to do good zero turn will be the fastest and make it look the nicest. If you want to do other farm chores or projects a small tractor with a loader, bush hog and finish mower be another great option...

Good luck in your decision! Lots of good options out there!

/ City Slicker needs eduction on taking care of land #3  
How rough the front 3-4 acres are will probably control your decision.

Zero Turn mowers have small wheels relative to most tractors, therefore ZTs cannot cut over rough ground.

Your will likely want a tractor with 12" of ground clearance. Most would recommend a Rotary Cutter (AKA Bush Hog, which is a brand.) for mowing rough ground behind a tractor. One of the most durable tractor implements.

A Rotary Cutter is sized to the tractor. Unless being used to maintain woods trails, where passing between trees is an issue, Rotary Cutters should be slightly wider, to 24" wider than the outside-to-outside width of tractor's rear tires. Usually this will also give the proper tractor horsepower relative to the implement.

Rotary Cutters come in various weights with corresponding price tags. Light Duty cuts grass and up to 1" diameter brush. Medium Duty cuts grass and up to 1-1/2" brush, Heavy Duty cuts 2" to 2-1/2" brush.
VIDEO: tractor rotary cutter - YouTube

Normally a Rotary Cutter is all that is necessary to regenerate grass. Herbicide is not usually necessary.

A Ratchet Rake bucket attachment is good for removing brush around trees, minor grading and removing sod as prep for a garden.
VIDEO: ratchet rake brush clearing - YouTube

Tractors are often stolen, seldom recovered. Be sure you have secure tractor storage on your acreage.

/ City Slicker needs eduction on taking care of land #4  
I purchased 46 acres in the country. As an investment, and a place to be outside and let kids ride 4 wheelers, have campfires etc. Hoping to buy adjoining nearby home as a rental and maybe retire here (hard work makes us live longer right)?

I need education on how to care for the property and how to mow it. If you can be so kind to provide or point me who to specifically talk to (not a neighbor).

Most of the land is rented to neighbor for cattle grazing. The front 3-4 acres is what I want to take care of. It is flat, few trees, near the fence line, two out buildings next to fence, and a irregular shape. The old tree's are so cool but much underbrush. With attention this property will look amazing.

Do I need to use herbicides? I had no plans to do anything other than mow it. What is the best option/tool for mowing? We have busy kids and realistically will mow 1-2x's month. Budget: can get a loan if that is the right choice but I hate debt and look for the BEST, cheapest option first. Like the idea of old tractor but have no mechanical education (willing to learn). Remember I don't know what is involved with farm machinery so please consider maintenance of machine and any safety concerns in suggestions; oh and what horsepower is needed?

#1 priority: time, I don't want to spend 3hours mowing
#2 reliability: b/c it supports #1
#3 cost: I have heard zero turns about 5k, small tractors 15k, this is feasible, but want to spend as little as needed lol.

Thank you for any wisdom you care to share to this "what the H-E- double L am I doing" mamma.
-Darlene

1). What are all possible jobs do you need equipment for? (mowing, maintaining driveway/roads, snow clearing, etc.)
2). Will you always keep the large part of your property rented or are you planning on taking over care of it at some point?

I think the answers to these questions will help determine what you should purchase.

/ City Slicker needs eduction on taking care of land #5  
Also if you are planning on taking over care of all of it at some point, when is that point? No point in buying a large tractor and not using it fully for 10 years.

Unless the acreage you are planning to mow is really rough, a zero turn is good. A mid mount mower for a tractor will run you a couple grand. Then you are in the price range of an entry level zero turn. Those will mow much faster if the land is relatively smooth.

If it is in bad shape now see if the guy renting the land for grazing has a tractor with a rotary mower to get the weeds and scrub cut down to where a zero turn will work.

Also pictures would help others give you more precise advice.

/ City Slicker needs eduction on taking care of land #6  
If most of the land is used for grazing, and you plan on riding ATV's there, then let the ATV make the trails for you. You can clear an area with a weed whacker for a campfire or two. I just don't see spending time maintaining property if you are not on it full-time or have a vested interest in agri-business. Heck, let the cattle grazer, manage it for you by offering dollars for bush-hogging if you need more cleared space.

The 3-4 acres you want to make look nice, I'd get a ZTR after someone bush-hogs it. The ZTR can be utilized at the house if you get that too.

Good luck and welcome to TBN!

/ City Slicker needs eduction on taking care of land #7  
I fail to understand why folks are recommending a zero turn radius mower over a much less expensive conventional riding mower. If it's currently clear and smooth enough for one, it is for the other. If it's NOT clear and smooth, a bushhog (or having the renter bushhog it) is the solution.

/ City Slicker needs eduction on taking care of land #8  
I fail to understand why folks are recommending a zero turn radius mower over a much less expensive conventional riding mower. If it's currently clear and smooth enough for one, it is for the other. If it's NOT clear and smooth, a bushhog (or having the renter bushhog it) is the solution.

Acres vs Acre. Time to cut, ZTR's are just quicker IMHO.

/ City Slicker needs eduction on taking care of land #9  

OP said that time was a factor as well. The ZRT will cut much more quickly than a conventional riding mower. However you are right that a conventional will be much less costly than a ZRT. So if the land is smooth enough for those options OP will have to balance that issue for himself.

My neighbor bought a JD 1025 with a MMM. I would bet he could come close to buying a ZRT for the cost of that MMM and have a machine that is better at mowing. He needs the FEL and bush hog that he has for the JD, so it is not like he just bought an oversize lawn mower.

/ City Slicker needs eduction on taking care of land #10  
Also if you are planning on taking over care of all of it at some point, when is that point?
Yup.

Several factors here - why in H E double toothpicks does anyone want to MOW 3 or 4 acres unless it's their golf course??

Grow trees, blackberries, something that takes up the land or graze it all.

The first thing you should do is get a secure storage unit on the land. A used 40' High cube shipping container would be a starting point if your present outbuildings are not secure.
Figure out a good place to put it and where your future house will be.

Cut out an acre or less around that spot then plant or graze everything else. Don't just let it "revert" back to nature because that usually results in a mish-mash of weeds, scrub, undesirable trees which require a forest fire to reclaim.

Then put cameras up on your container and make sure it's secure. Then you can store your ATV's there.

You might also check out ATV pull behind mowers. They are like small tractor mowers with an engine.

After you've got the little part taken care of you can start dreaming about what to do with the other 40 acres.

/edit - and with ATV mowers you could get the kids to mow :)