Turn signal woes (or how not to get hit by traffic)

/ Turn signal woes (or how not to get hit by traffic) #1  

Magicman710

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5220, JD 5055E, JD 5085E, JD 5100E
In the course of the past several weeks I have almost been sideswiped 4 times by vehicles while trying to make a left hand turn off of a paved road. Today was the first time a semi truck tried to do it. I have been traveling with tractors on paved roads for years, but with the acquisition of more places to tend, I'm having to travel on busier highways more often.

The situation is always the same. I have flashers on. Vehicle gets behind me. I turn the left turn signal on 100-200 ft before the turn. When I start slowing down, or when I'm right about to turn left, they pass me. I always make sure to check because otherwise they would hit me. In one instance I a car fly around me after I had started the turn! I had to jerk back into my lane to avoid hitting them.

I think the problem is that people are so concerned about getting a chance to pass me that they no longer even look at or notice the light pattern. They see me slowing down and think "GREAT, a chance to pass!" They don't notice that the lights have gone from just flashing to one side flashing and other side not.

I don't think hand signals would be any good. Me pointing or gesturing to my left would probably entice the drivers to pass me more, with them thinking that I'm saying for them to pass.

I've thought about just not using the flashers and just rely on the SMV emblem(s), that way when the turn signal is put on it'll be apparent to the drivers that are following. Or possibly turning off the flashers for a few seconds before I turn the signal on, so that it grabs attention that the pattern has changed.

Just looking for any pointers or suggestions by folks who may have had or are having the same issues of what I could change or do better.

/ Turn signal woes (or how not to get hit by traffic) #2  
I have a related problem with city buses when I go to town. When they stop, both of the signals flash, but when they want to pull out left into traffic, the right signal stops flashing. The left never changes. Makes it harder to notice.

Bruce

/ Turn signal woes (or how not to get hit by traffic) #3  
Use your arms just the way you were taught in drivers school.

Don't go waving or pointing!

Up is right, OUT is left.

Keep your head on a swivel! If you think driving a tractor is tough, try a motorbike!

/ Turn signal woes (or how not to get hit by traffic) #4  
I know what you mean, you better be watching your back when you make a LH turn. I don't think most people even know that a tractor has turn signals. Your lucky these days if they even pay the flashers any attention. They are only focused on one thing..... getting around you as quick as possible no matter how.

I always try to have someone following my equipment when on the main roads. Just before making a LH turn, they will cross over an block anyone from trying to make a wild pass. You won't believe how many times we have cut someone off.

Sometimes it's just not possible to have someone following, so when I'm our there by myself I keep a very close eye on the traffic beside me. If I'm going to make a LH turn, I do about the same thing, start easing over before the turn. They seem to figure out that you are about to turn and will back down.

/ Turn signal woes (or how not to get hit by traffic) #5  
I would say, that the speed of the flash when you put your turn signal on would help.

I'm not sure what they're called but I remember reading about Harley motorcycle drivers that install a kit to pulse the tail lights and headlights to best get the attention of drivers.

My thoughts were if you installed a similar kit on just your turn signals only, and let's say you set it to where it would fast flash when you hit your turn signal on that might grab the attention of drivers more that the signal speed has changed there for that your signal has changed.

And I second the motorcycle bit.

/ Turn signal woes (or how not to get hit by traffic) #6  
Use your arms just the way you were taught in drivers school.

Don't go waving or pointing!

Up is right, OUT is left.

I did that last month and almost had somebody T-Bone me. They passed on the left while they flipped me off and laid on the horn as I was making a left hand turn with my left turn signal on after having gone from hugging the white line to sitting on the center line when I put on my turn signal.
I used to try to be nice to cars and let them go by, but after several such incidents, I make sure to take my fair share of the road and let them worry about getting by me.

Aaron Z

/ Turn signal woes (or how not to get hit by traffic) #7  
I always look backwards before turning left but I've never actually had anyone try to pass as I was turning.

/ Turn signal woes (or how not to get hit by traffic) #8  
I can imagine how dangerous it must be. Fortunately I NEVER have to drive the tractor on any public roads. Its certainly bad enough when I ride my motorcycle.

/ Turn signal woes (or how not to get hit by traffic) #9  
Lots of good points posted. I agree that most drivers don't notice the change from flasher to turn signal, and they likely don't realize tractors can have turn indicators. Most of the roads I am on are lightly traveled, so I rarely encounter the left turn problem. The rare time I am turning left with a car coming up from behind I either move father left ahead of the turn, or slow down and move to the right shoulder until they pass. Either way.... I assume they are going to be reckless.
An accompanying vehicle would definitely help in making turns, but it seems to aggravate drivers by making passing more difficult when it would otherwise be safe.

/ Turn signal woes (or how not to get hit by traffic) #10  
I use flashers hand signs even try to glance back to make eye to eye if I can,than go w/my gut feeling.
3 type of drivers out there...common sense,little common sense,lack of common sense.