Loader How to not damage your FEL

/ How to not damage your FEL #1  

ransonjd

Bronze Member
Tractor
BCS 605
I've never used a front end loader before, except to try out tractors at the dealers. I'll be getting a DK4510HS with a KL5510 Loader and an EA 54" Wicked Grapple. I've seen a number of posts that mention damaging the FEL frame or hydraulics doing various seemingly innocuous tasks. What can I do (or not do) to avoid damaging my new purchase?

--John

/ How to not damage your FEL #2  
Buy a tractor 3.75 times bigger than you need, and it should be bullet proof...

* grin * just kidding...

Careful use, and common sense go a long way. Remember it's a loader, ment to lift and scoop, not a bulldozer. Digging in settled ground is putting alot of force on loader masts and cantilevered mounting points... be aware, and understand how you are applying the forces, and it will last longer.

What are your planned uses?

/ How to not damage your FEL
Moving fill. Pulling out vines from the woods. Pulling boulders out of a field and rockpile. Providing counterweight for rear attachments.

--John

/ How to not damage your FEL #4  
Do not backup with the loader in the air trying to pull something out! Go Slow and watch videos of experienced operators. Also, Don't backdrag with the bucket dump (cutting edge vertical) and backdrag.

/ How to not damage your FEL #5  
Don't try lifting a very heavy object using just the left or right corner of the bucket. Don't ram into pile or things to try to break it loose.

/ How to not damage your FEL #6  
I think that most of the time when something breaks, it's from going too fast. Go slow and you will quickly build up the experience to know what you can and should not do.

/ How to not damage your FEL #7  
Don't try lifting a very heavy object using just the left or right corner of the bucket. Don't ram into pile or things to try to break it loose.
Along with that advice, don't dig into new ground or a pile with just one corner of the bucket. Try to keep equal pressure on both loader arms.

/ How to not damage your FEL #8  
Never use the bucket to pull, don't hook chains to it and try to pull out logs, use the drawbar on the rear for that. Hooking chains to it to "Lift" something is fine, never pull.

Sideways pressure is bad on them, for example I had a big azz round bale in my truck, I was starting to use the FEL and cut the wheel to push out the bale from the side of the truck, I didn't put much sideways pressure on it and stopped, I was a afraid of twisting the FEL frame.

If I didn't read on here about things not to do, I would have ignorantly just pushed the bale off that way but I stopped.

Another thing I find myself doing from info I picked up off here is kicking it in 4wd going down hills with my round bales, I remember a few stories of guys putting holes in barns because they were in 2wd and the rear got too light on them and away they go lol.

In 2wd only the rear locks up, in 4wd all 4s break.

/ How to not damage your FEL #9  
Also with a grapple your gonna need to beef up your grill guard, seems guys on here think it's a Must Do when you buy a grapple. I have never owned or operated a grapple.

Guys usually weld expanded steel to an existing guard to help protect against brush that poke threw the grapple.

/ How to not damage your FEL #10  
Never slam into hard things.
Approach slowly, engage the FEL and let hydraulics do the work.
Hydraulics can cushion blows while steel wont forgive.
Scooping loads ease in all while lifting slightly.
Never travel with loader elevated especially if loaded.
Listen to your rear end, (butt) if you feel you might be tippy you could just be.
When on slopes move slowly as when tilted it takes only a slight bump to 'put you over the limit'.
Climb inclines straight on and not at angle, same for descending.
Always lift loads with the FEL using center and not corners of the FEL bucket.

JUst a few tips, the rest you'll learn from trail and error.

Good luck, have fun.