Why left and right brakes?

/ Why left and right brakes? #1  

Alesandro

Silver Member
Tractor
Misubishi MT 372 D
Why do tractors have left and right brakes. I have a Mitsubishi MT 372D SCUT and the brake pedals can be separated for the left and right. Is this so you can dig a tires into one side and make a tight turn? In rock crawling we call them "digs", "dig right" or "dig left". But in rockcrawling the rear drive line is disconnected and the front axel was used after one of the back tires was locked up. So is that what it's for?

Thanks for the help.

/ Why left and right brakes? #2  
Yes, to allow for sharp turns.

/ Why left and right brakes? #3  
Like a tank, if you apply one brake fully, with the other off, you can turn the tractor in about its length.

Helpful in tight fields with Three Point Hitch mounted implements.

/ Why left and right brakes? #4  
Not only sharp turns, but many other purposes. They are extremely useful for "maintaining your line" when there are external forces applied to the tractor. For instance on icy sloping surfaces when you are applying down pressure with a bucket scraping ice off of a sloping driveway. Your steering wheel is useless because you have "unloaded" your front wheels/tires with the down pressure and your only steering mechanism to keep from sliding downhill is you steering brakes. Just give it a little right or left "rudder" and you will be able to maintain a straight line and overcome the force of gravity pulling you to one side. This is similar to flying an airplane and "crabbing" into the wind with the rudder pedal.

Another use is to "screw" the tractor out of a mud hole. say you are stuck, you can sometimes "skew" the tractor sideways or maybe pivot is a better word by locking the spinning wheel in the mudhole and allowing the tractor to pivot around downhill hopefully to a better traction area with the wheel/tire still on solid ground. The idea is to point the tractors nose downhill to allow gravity to assist you getting unstuck.

In a similar idea is when one wheel begins to slip you can apply braking pressure to the slipping wheel/tire which will give the other wheel/tire something to push against in the differential so that it will begin to move over the more tractive surface. Yes I know the idea of a differential lock is to lock both axles together so that both may move, but it is harder to apply and requires a hard solid engagement usually done at very low or even static speed, and the idea of dynamically applying brake pressure to the spinning wheel can be done at higher RPMs and if the operator is "good" can switch pedals rapidly if need be to make the most of tractive forces under each tire.

In summation, yes split brakes can be extremely useful in daily use. I sometimes use them to maintain a line when working dirt right up against a building or concrete footing as it is often better than what can be achieved with using the steering wheel. Split brakes are just one more useful part of the extremely useful tool called a tractor.

/ Why left and right brakes? #5  
I miss not having individual brakes on the BX.

Bruce

/ Why left and right brakes?
Thanks for the quick answers and the scenarios that it can be applied to. This all makes sense.

/ Why left and right brakes? #7  
James, that may be the most well-thought-out explanation I've ever read.

/ Why left and right brakes? #8  
James, that may be the most well-thought-out explanation I've ever read.
Yea I was going add something but dang if he didn't hit on the mud aspect, too :thumbsup:

/ Why left and right brakes? #9  
To add only slightly to what James said so well..

He said "Not only for sharp turns..." and cited some examples. One he didn't mention is what I use them for all the time - not especially sharp turns but any turn toward uphill when mowing along the side of a hill with my rotary cutter. Even with four-wheel drive the tractor really doesn't want to turn up the hill. A little help with the "steering brake" convinces it I'm serious about making the turn.