What implement works best for controlling weeds, foxtails.

/ What implement works best for controlling weeds, foxtails. #21  
The grass in the first and second pics is cheat. The seeds tend to stick in animals coats but it's not as annoying (or as dangerous to some animals) as foxtails. Neither is native to California. Unfortunately they out-compete our native grasses. I'd rarther have cheat than either foxtails or thistle. All of them are annuals and propagate by seed so mowing before they set seed would reduce the number of plants the next year. It might be worth calling up the local extension agent and asking what's a good seed to spread to compete with the plants you don't want.

Over here it's wetter and if you leave cleared land it'll eventually get covered with coyotebrush, elderberry, scotch broom and poison oak. The areas I mow end up with cheat and some other probably non-native grasses, and this year a lot of Italian thistle.

/ What implement works best for controlling weeds, foxtails.
The grass in the first and second pics is cheat. The seeds tend to stick in animals coats but it's not as annoying (or as dangerous to some animals) as foxtails. Neither is native to California. Unfortunately they out-compete our native grasses. I'd rarther have cheat than either foxtails or thistle. All of them are annuals and propagate by seed so mowing before they set seed would reduce the number of plants the next year. It might be worth calling up the local extension agent and asking what's a good seed to spread to compete with the plants you don't want.

Over here it's wetter and if you leave cleared land it'll eventually get covered with coyotebrush, elderberry, scotch broom and poison oak. The areas I mow end up with cheat and some other probably non-native grasses, and this year a lot of Italian thistle.

What is a (local extension agent)? I was thinking I could mow before they went to seed but looking at the foxtail plant it has already started to seed close to the ground.

/ What implement works best for controlling weeds, foxtails. #23  
   / What implement works best for controlling weeds, foxtails. #24  
   / What implement works best for controlling weeds, foxtails. #25  
Thanks for all the great ideas so far, one thing that I need to understand is what method kills the weeds, is grinding the weeds and roots up and mixing them under the soil going to kill them or are you just replanting them for next year, are we trying to turn them under before they seed. I used my roto tiller today on a small area with two passes, took a little over an hour and was about 8" deep, it ground all the dead grass into the dirt, is this going to help slow down the growth or is it important to break the ground deep with a field cultivator like others have suggested.

View attachment 508764View attachment 508765

If you want to eradicate the plants growing in your field keep it black with cultivation for the summer. As for the implement whatever works. If a cultivator use one that has the broad shovels. The spike toothed will not do what you want.

Replant grass for a late fall or spring start.

So you guys are saying I have cheatgrass not foxtails, thanks I will have to compare the two just for my own knowledge.

My neighbor across the street has been using a company to spray his yard for the last five years, He has no weeds whatsoever just bare dirt, this year he stopped the spraying service and the weeds are as thick and as plentiful as my property. So what that tells me, is the seeds are in the ground and even after five years of spraying, the weeds will just come right back because of the seeds. I guess that's what you guys are talking about planting something that will choke it out.

/ What implement works best for controlling weeds, foxtails. #27  
   / What implement works best for controlling weeds, foxtails. #29  
I would run a disc over it first to prep it, then break (plow) it deep and bury the seeds. Some will eventually come back, but they will be thin for a while.

I would plant some bermuta grass and let it choke it out. if you are looking to keep it dirt, I would run a disc over every few weeks.

I would run a disc over it first to prep it, then break (plow) it deep and bury the seeds. Some will eventually come back, but they will be thin for a while.

I would plant some bermuta grass and let it choke it out. if you are looking to keep it dirt, I would run a disc over every few weeks.

Would turning the weeds over with a plow have a different affect than tilling or using a cultivator.