What implement works best for controlling weeds, foxtails.

/ What implement works best for controlling weeds, foxtails. #1  

Catman8

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 30B, John Deere 2032R
What implement would work best?

I have five acres of weeds that are mostly foxtails, I tried flail mowing them but of course in no time they grow back, the ground squirrels dig up mounds and impedes the progress of flail mowing, I tried my tiller and that is way to slow for five acres. I have no desire to use chemicals.

One advantage to mowing is the ground is intact and easy to drive over with a truck and cuts down on dust, the tiller leaves the dirt flat but way to soft.

So what implement can I use with a 2 series tractor that would be faster, turn the dirt over and somewhat kill the vegetation growth and cut down on the foxtails, My soil is pretty soft, decomposed granite. I live in an area that is agricultural so these weeds would grow to four foot tall if left alone. Spending my life mowing weeds is not my idea of fun.

IMG_1446.JPG

/ What implement works best for controlling weeds, foxtails. #2  
Use a spring tooth harrow and just keep hitting every time it turns green.

20170429_111636.jpg
20170429_111606.jpg

/ What implement works best for controlling weeds, foxtails. #3  
If you don't want to use chemicals, I have found that just regular mowing will eventually let the grass (spread a little seed) overcome the weeds that need to be taller to survive. This won't kill out the shorter stuff like crab grass or anything else the is happy at grass height.

/ What implement works best for controlling weeds, foxtails. #4  
If you don't want to use chemicals, I have found that just regular mowing will eventually let the grass (spread a little seed) overcome the weeds that need to be taller to survive. This won't kill out the shorter stuff like crab grass or anything else the is happy at grass height.

x2

mow it when it gets about 1 foot tall. figure 5 times a year. vs finishing mower and regular lawn seems about 20 times a year at times.

/ What implement works best for controlling weeds, foxtails. #5  
The best weed preventer is thick grass density.

/ What implement works best for controlling weeds, foxtails.
The best weed preventer is thick grass density.

Planting grass to choke out the foxtails I don't think is an option because I live in CA. And during the summer it's all going to die because I'm not going to water it. The only thing thats going to grow is the natural vegetation and that's foxtails and weeds.

/ What implement works best for controlling weeds, foxtails.
Use a spring tooth harrow and just keep hitting every time it turns green.

View attachment 508711View attachment 508710

Lynn, my dirt is soft but it will harden up some in the summer, will a spring tooth harrow cut through hard dirt or only soft. I see you have a disc in the picture behind the spring tooth harrow, what do you use your disc for.

What kind of finish does a spring tooth harrow leave. How deep does it dig. Does it uproot the weeds and they die.

Thanks.

/ What implement works best for controlling weeds, foxtails. #8  
Roundup one time and plant switchgrass. Burn it every couple of years. No mowing and it is great animal habitat. If switchgrass is ok for California that is.

Your not getting rid of foxtail with implements unless you plan to use the regulary which is worse than mowing.

/ What implement works best for controlling weeds, foxtails. #9  
WHAT LENGTH ARE THE ROOTS OF OBJECTIONABLE FOXTAILS IN YOUR SOIL?

A Field Cultivator will penetrate soil to 14" but I usually rip at 10" depth.

Field Cultivator is a tough implement. Note coil-spring protection for each tine. One of the first implements designed for the Three Point Hitch.

I have a Field Cultivator and a Tool Bar Cultivator, which uses spring tines a bit heavier than CATFEVER'S implement.

A Dirt Dog (brand) Seven Tine Field Cultivator/All Purpose Plow is <$1,000 new, 40% of the cost of a similarly capable Disc Harrow.

Field Cultivator is a type of Conservaton Plow, designed to leave some soil surface undisturbed.

Disc Harrow is a form of tiller, which mixes soil. Most Disc Harrows discussed here mix soil 6" to 8" deep.

PRCING: Dirt Dog

MORE: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/339095-dirt-dog-all-purpose-plow.html?highlight=

MORE, MORE: http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonl...45263BDD8/11557/pub2917tractorimplements1.pdf

Attachments

• DSC00364.jpg
    DSC00364.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 370
  • DSC00359.jpg
    DSC00359.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 218
  • DSC00361.jpg
    DSC00361.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 312
  • DSC00362.jpg
    DSC00362.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 480
  • DSC00554.JPG
    DSC00554.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 346
  • DSC00663.JPG
    DSC00663.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 250
  • DSC00396.jpg
    DSC00396.jpg
    1,010 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC00392.jpg
    DSC00392.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC00701.JPG
    DSC00701.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 240
  • DSC00378.jpg
    DSC00378.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 203
  • DSC00377.jpg
    DSC00377.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 641
Last edited:
   / What implement works best for controlling weeds, foxtails. #10  
Also consider researching soil pH that FOXTAILS prefer. You may be able to alter soil pH with either lime, to decrease acidity, or agricultural sulphur, commonly called Split Pea Sulphur, to increase acidity. Foxtails may cease reproducing without using any synthetic chemicals.