Why would a previous owner convert from gravity fed to electric fuel pump? IH 584.

/ Why would a previous owner convert from gravity fed to electric fuel pump? IH 584. #1  

ShowroomShine

Gold Member
Tractor
2019 Case IH 55A
Looked at an IH 584 the other day. Tractor looked decent, biggest concern by far was the fact they added an electric in-line fuel pump before the fuel filter. I've got an IH 784 at home, and my understanding is most of the 84 series tractors were gravity fed, with no fuel pump at all.

What reason would this guy have to add an electric fuel pump? I like the tractor, but dont want it if the additional fuel pump was an indication of a problem.

How hard would it be to remove and place back to factory? Just need the factory line?

/ Why would a previous owner convert from gravity fed to electric fuel pump? IH 584. #2  
wonder if i get it correct (has not a clue)

bottom of tank is lower than other tractors to increase size of tank
saddle tanks were a bigger thing back then.
hills and slopes, and shape / placement of gas tank would slosh the last few gallons.
is there a different injector system on the diesel engine? that might need a bit more power?

hhhmmssss did they make a diesel engine that does not have a fuel pump? wondering how they sprayed the fuel into the cylinders without a fuel pump?

/ Why would a previous owner convert from gravity fed to electric fuel pump? IH 584. #3  
Looked at an IH 584 the other day. Tractor looked decent, biggest concern by far was the fact they added an electric in-line fuel pump before the fuel filter. I've got an IH 784 at home, and my understanding is most of the 84 series tractors were gravity fed, with no fuel pump at all.

What reason would this guy have to add an electric fuel pump? I like the tractor, but dont want it if the additional fuel pump was an indication of a problem.

How hard would it be to remove and place back to factory? Just need the factory line?

Most/ or at least many diesel engines have "lift pumps" to assure fuel delivery to the injector pump. Perhaps the previous owner changed or added the pre filter pump based on his familiarity.

Ask him!

/ Why would a previous owner convert from gravity fed to electric fuel pump? IH 584. #4  
That OR for ease of refilling fuel filters after a filter change..
Its not uncommon to see.. BUT if a system IS gravity fed & the owner puts and electric "helper pump" on it.. It has to be only a couple of psi..
Gravity fed units run 1-3 psi at the pump inlet.. anything above 7 & you'll start messing w/ the inj. pump workings..

/ Why would a previous owner convert from gravity fed to electric fuel pump? IH 584. #5  
Nother possibility is if the owner worked on hilly terrain perhaps the lift pump helped keep the carburetor well fed.
Once had a tractor that I could only climb hills backwards due to fuel line outlet location unless the tank was more than half full.
At a certain angle the fuel would be lower than the carb bowl hence no fuel feed.

/ Why would a previous owner convert from gravity fed to electric fuel pump? IH 584. #6  
NPSH for the injection pump.

/ Why would a previous owner convert from gravity fed to electric fuel pump? IH 584. #7  
Nother possibility is if the owner worked on hilly terrain perhaps the lift pump helped keep the carburetor well fed.
Once had a tractor that I could only climb hills backwards due to fuel line outlet location unless the tank was more than half full.
At a certain angle the fuel would be lower than the carb bowl hence no fuel feed.

IH 584 is a diesel engine.