Don't laugh at me...

/ Don't laugh at me... #1  

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40 DA, Deere 17D, Hyster SX50 forklift, Case D450, Kubota ZD1011-54, International Dump Truck, Kubota SVL-952S, Volovo EC250DL
I'm working on installing a few thousand feet of pipe so I'll have water all over my front 11 acres and can run large imacts to keep things green. It hasn't rained here in a couple of months, is windy all the time and has been hot so the ground is bone dry and, in some places, Rick hard. My mini-ex​ is just a little 4,000 pound machine so it's struggling in these areas and I'm catching myself pulling in the controls harder and harder in the area where it's struggling, as if that's going to somehow make the machine use more force or something. I can't be the only one, right?

/ Don't laugh at me... #2  
I do the same with my backhoe and have been sore afterwards. I guess the pros have learned how to relax while digging and not try to muscle the controls. I need to learn how to do this!!!

/ Don't laugh at me... #3  
As long as you are holding your mouth that "certain way", pulling hard on the controls doesn't help much. ;-)

hint: just use your finger tips.

/ Don't laugh at me... #4  
hard you pull the better chance of breaking something take break from machine...as said use your finger tips.

/ Don't laugh at me... #5  
*holds a sign up*
SLOWER DOWN ram rod

=========
if i say above will become a hypocrite!

/ Don't laugh at me...
I've tried the fingertip thing, it's a small operator platform so the ergonomics of that get very uncomfortable. The machine *can* do it, it's just a slower scrape instead of a dig. When it gets too hard, I water it for a few hours and let it sit for a while to soak in.

/ Don't laugh at me... #7  
can you dig down past the couple inches plus of "top hard pan" so when you bring in the bucket to you. the teeth/edge of bucket, is lifting up the hard pan, to help break the hard pan. vs trying to drag bucket through the hard pan.

i have had to due above, to get through initial few inches of hard pan, then finding a "rock layer" deeper. in the ground. and had to move back and forth till i finally able to get past the hard pan and/or rock layer. once i got past it, it was like busting up concrete, and bring bucket up under it and lifting it upwards.

/ Don't laugh at me... #8  
You are in texas can't you just buy explosives at the local Piggly wiggly?

Seriously though I do the same with my FEL. Push harder on the joystick as though that will translate into more breakout force.

/ Don't laugh at me...
You are in texas can't you just buy explosives at the local Piggly wiggly?

Seriously though I do the same with my FEL. Push harder on the joystick as though that will translate into more breakout force.
No Piggly Wiggly in Texas, have to go to Ok or La. We have a Lowe's (small town grocery chain) but, they stopped carrying explosives earlier this year. They really did help to loosen up the soil.