power shuttle ?

/ power shuttle ? #1  

spitter

Platinum Member
Tractor
simplicity legacy tc29d,Tc45d,Cs 2520
I'm interested in buying a power shuttle transmission but somethings I ain't to shure about. When u put it in gear ie. tractor running shuttle lever forward or reverse does the tractor start moving or u have to step on foot throttle to move ? Being my property has some very tight places I need to get into and I don't like the idea of the tractor moving as soon as u shuttle.Most of my work is loader and fork oriented. I am only thinking about a power shuttle because I want a large cut older 1995 to 2005 vintage .No or limited electronics.I work on everything my self so looking ease of maintaince. We have a gradeall telehandler at work that I drive a lot and I realy like it. No clutch. Start it up electric p brake shuttle into f or r step on foot throttle and start moving.Has a regular size foot throttle. Most P S trans or R I see have a small little button like foot throttle how does that work ? I really like the TC NH line TC 55da but if u shuttle into drive and the tractor starts moving automatically I see nothing but problems when moving in tight areas .Kubota has a hydro but I absoulitly hate the treddle peddle on them. A J D 4720 hydro will work but they seem to run about 5 to 10 thousand over a tc55da.Any thoughts about a tractor that might fit the bill would be greatly appreciated.:D:drink:

/ power shuttle ? #2  
Power shuttle transmissions move as soon as you shift away from neutral. There is a clutch pedal for close, precise movements.

Exceptions to this would be tractors with torque converters ahead of the power shuttle clutch packs, but this configuration is mostly limited to construction equipment.

/ power shuttle ? #3  
What size cut are you looking at? Are you moving up in size over what you have???
You may be better looking at a hydro, or industrial tractor to get the type of gearbox you want.

/ power shuttle ?
Thanks 4 reply guess i'm stuck with finding a hydro that has no treddle peddle and that doesn't cost a arm and a leg.:confused3:

/ power shuttle ? #5  
I'm not familiar with how the ag version power shuttles work but I will be looking for a 50+ HP something in the future. Couldn't you just hold the brake when you put in forward or reverse?

On a side note my little JD855 hydro has a tendency to creep if I don't use the brake. My industrial power shuttle has no clutch and the brakes don't work so I have to be very careful and shift to the opposite direction to keep from hitting anything if I am close to a structure. (I need to get those fixed)

/ power shuttle ? #6  
I'm not familiar with how the ag version power shuttles work but I will be looking for a 50+ HP something in the future. Couldn't you just hold the brake when you put in forward or reverse?

On a side note my little JD855 hydro has a tendency to creep if I don't use the brake. My industrial power shuttle has no clutch and the brakes don't work so I have to be very careful and shift to the opposite direction to keep from hitting anything if I am close to a structure. (I need to get those fixed)

If you hold the brake with the tractor in gear, you will steal the tractor. If the transmission is in gear the tractor must be moving, or not running.

To the OP, spend a couple hours with the treadle pedal if you can. It's really not a big deal, especially if you have cruise control. I wouldn't want anything other than HST for close maneuvering, but that's just me.

/ power shuttle ? #7  
Also note with a hydraulic shuttle in gear, engine off, there is nothing to keep the machine from rolling except the service brakes. Or flat land!
Jim

/ power shuttle ? #9  
I'm interested in buying a power shuttle transmission but somethings I ain't to shure about. When u put it in gear ie. tractor running shuttle lever forward or reverse does the tractor start moving or u have to step on foot throttle to move ? Being my property has some very tight places I need to get into and I don't like the idea of the tractor moving as soon as u shuttle.Most of my work is loader and fork oriented. I am only thinking about a power shuttle because I want a large cut older 1995 to 2005 vintage .No or limited electronics.I work on everything my self so looking ease of maintaince. We have a gradeall telehandler at work that I drive a lot and I realy like it. No clutch. Start it up electric p brake shuttle into f or r step on foot throttle and start moving.Has a regular size foot throttle. Most P S trans or R I see have a small little button like foot throttle how does that work ? I really like the TC NH line TC 55da but if u shuttle into drive and the tractor starts moving automatically I see nothing but problems when moving in tight areas .Kubota has a hydro but I absoulitly hate the treddle peddle on them. A J D 4720 hydro will work but they seem to run about 5 to 10 thousand over a tc55da.Any thoughts about a tractor that might fit the bill would be greatly appreciated.:D:drink:

My 6530 has the shuttle shift. To crank the shuttle has to be in N. Once tractor is running, regardless of what gear is selected, you depress the clutch and shift the shuttle to F or R. No movement occurs till you let the clutch out just as if you had a regular gear tranny with no shuttle, put the shifter in a gear and let the clutch out to proceed with ground movement.

For shuttle work, you select what gear you want (for me out of a combination of 24 possibilities) and work the clutch and shuttle back and forth as fast as you can move the lever from up to down; silky smooth. If you want to interrupt any travel, just leave everything as is and depress the clutch like on a regular gear shift tranny.

PTO is independent, controlled by an electric switch selector. If you want to use "Live PTO" position on mine, the PTO is still independent, but you can cut it off and on by depressing the clutch, just like you can do with a regular "live" PTO tranny in a conventional sense like my Ford 3000. Makes post hole digging a dream.

Other thing the Branson has is PTO interrupt. If you choose to use this switch controlled option, there is an electric switch that can be used (in combination with the normal PTO lift lever, or used alone) that lifts and drops the PTO to pre-set positions. With this feature, if you choose it, you can have the PTO stop when the 3 pt is raised, dropping the 3 pt re-engages the PTO.

Just a few of the reasons the 6530 is in my corral.

/ power shuttle ? #10  
hydraulic transmission = more precise control over speed.

the old ford 333c TLB (tractor loader backhoe),
--industrial tractor not an agriculture tractor.
--power reverser/shuttle (same speed forward and backwards)
--4 ranges (gears).
--1 clutch button on the shuttle lever by steering wheel,
--1 clutch button on the FEL joystick,
--1 clutch button on the range selector.
--1 foot throttle peddle.
--1 lever throttle (primarly for backhoe useage but can be set to hold throttle peddle to given spot)
--split brakes on opposite foot. of throttle peddle.

press shuttle clutch and flip to forward or reverse and release button. and it slam the tractor into opposite direction. generally you need to work the throttle peddle to slow down to near stop if not stopping to switch back and forth so you are not riding a bunking bronco throwing you forward and reverse and giving you whiplash. ((more so at higher MPH))

===========
HST (hydro static transmission)
--single peddle that rocks forward or backwards for forward/reverse, center = neutral
--some of them have 2 peddles 1 for reverse and 1 for forward

===========
hydraulic transmissions such as above. is not like a regular gear/manual shift tractor or truck. were if you load up the engine you can kill/stall the engine. instead a pressure relief valve kicks on in hydraulic transmissions, and you loose torque and speed.

for hydraulic transmissions you need to start in low range and work you way up through (experience) till you find capability of machine so you are not causing pressure relief valve inside transmission to open up on you.

an example. got a heavy load in FEL bucket, plus backhoe bucket. running on flat dirt lane. i can mash the peddle to the floor but not really go any were. as soon as i press say 1/2 way down and not all the way down, i suddenly pickup lots of speed and can maintain that speed. why?
less peddle down = most torque / less speed,
and when throttle all the way down = less torque and more speed.
the throttle peddle in this case is selecting the torque to speed ratio that works for load on the machine.
other words throttle peddle = infinite gear range selector between torque and speed.

hydraulic transmissions with infinite gear range doing, allows for "creeping up" 1/2" to 1" at a time slow speeds, to higher end say 15MPH to 25MPH the range/gear selector there to help adjust a bit more.

only when throttle peddle is completely up. and/or clutch is depressed, and/or gear select in neutral, is tractor in neutral per say and will not go any were.