93 octane or 87 Octane NO Ethanol

/ 93 octane or 87 Octane NO Ethanol #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
Well, a little surprise for me at one of my fueling joints. They have now 93 No Eth pump.. $$$$$ for a gallon. And then around the corner was my ususal haunt that has (I think it is 87, might be 89) octane no ethanol but for a lot less

Any thoughts, this is strictly for my quad which sits a lot and all my small engines (2 and 4 stroke).

/ 93 octane or 87 Octane NO Ethanol #2  
There was quite a discussion about use of premium fuel vs regular a while back. Sufficient evidence exist to support the use of only 87 octane if your engine is designed to run on it. Using higher octane than what the manufacturer states doesn't gain anything and in most instances will cost you more. Not only in more $ per gallon but also less power from your engine. Premium fuel does not run any better in a low compression engine and in many instances runs worse due to the lower volatility of the premium fuel (that is how they get it to reduce engine knock (pre-ignition).

SO if your Quad is supposed to run on 87 then run 87 and you will get more power from your engine.

This is not any relation to whether or not to use 0 ethanol or 10%. I had been filling my motorcycle with Shell Premium because it has no ethanol when preparing it for winter storage. I will from now on, get the 87 octane no ethanol which is available at a different gas station which is actually closer to the house. It is only about 40 cents a gallon higher than 10% ethanol. The Shell premium is about $1.30 higher which for my 4.5 gallon tank isn't a big deal but since I found out that it reduces the power and fuel mileage, why pay more for something that is inferior.

NOTE: If your engine says to use high octane, then by all means use the 93.

/ 93 octane or 87 Octane NO Ethanol #3  
Gary hit the nail on the head. Use the octane your owners manual says to use.

/ 93 octane or 87 Octane NO Ethanol #4  
What kills me with the zero ethanol stuff is that it costs more than 10% more than the gas that contains 10% ethanol.

Of course, the detrimental effects on engines, the economy and nature due to us putting food in our gas tanks is proof enough to me that we are a nation of well intentioned idiots.

/ 93 octane or 87 Octane NO Ethanol #5  
Well, a little surprise for me at one of my fueling joints. They have now 93 No Eth pump.. $$$$$ for a gallon. And then around the corner was my ususal haunt that has (I think it is 87, might be 89) octane no ethanol but for a lot less

Any thoughts, this is strictly for my quad which sits a lot and all my small engines (2 and 4 stroke).

Small engines use the no ethanol and the highest octane on the market. Fewer bunged up carbs and fewer pistons with holes burned through them.

/ 93 octane or 87 Octane NO Ethanol #6  
I have 87 and 89 non ethenol available at different stations, I get 89 for all small engines just out of convenience as the 2 strokes require it, minimal performance change and during the summer months doesn't hurt to have a little more detonation prevention on the air cooled engines.

Plus sometimes i have to mix up 2 stroke gas from one of the larger cans, so just having one fuel simplifies things.

/ 93 octane or 87 Octane NO Ethanol #7  
What kills me with the zero ethanol stuff is that it costs more than 10% more than the gas that contains 10% ethanol.

Of course, the detrimental effects on engines, the economy and nature due to us putting food in our gas tanks is proof enough to me that we are a nation of well intentioned idiots.

There needs to be a :thumbsup: button on here. Considering test show producing ethanol and putting it in fuel produces more overall pollution than straight gas.

/ 93 octane or 87 Octane NO Ethanol #8  
Small engines use the no ethanol and the highest octane on the market. Fewer bunged up carbs and fewer pistons with holes burned through them.

What do you mean by small engines? I'm pretty sure my newest (cheap) lawnmower says 87 only but I won't swear to that. If you mean small car engines then I would say that is generally true as most high revving fours and sixes are high compression engines. In my 350z the computer will ****** or advance the timing depending on the fuel you put in it. That is not to say you should run 87 in it (I don't) but it can handle it with performance decreased by the computer. Most of the time I run 89. I run the highest octane I can on trips and at the racetrack. As for ethanol in a car engine I don't think it makes a bit of difference if you're burning it up. Leaving it sitting in a car (or lawnmower) is where the problems come....as I understand it....which is probably not very well.

/ 93 octane or 87 Octane NO Ethanol #9  
What do you mean by small engines? I'm pretty sure my newest (cheap) lawnmower says 87 only but I won't swear to that. If you mean small car engines then I would say that is generally true as most high revving fours and sixes are high compression engines. In my 350z the computer will ****** or advance the timing depending on the fuel you put in it. That is not to say you should run 87 in it (I don't) but it can handle it with performance decreased by the computer. Most of the time I run 89. I run the highest octane I can on trips and at the racetrack. As for ethanol in a car engine I don't think it makes a bit of difference if you're burning it up. Leaving it sitting in a car (or lawnmower) is where the problems come....as I understand it....which is probably not very well.

I think he is referring to chainsaws, trimmers, etc.

/ 93 octane or 87 Octane NO Ethanol #10  

Listen buddy!!!! (yeah, like I've got some authority :laughing:) ... I've been running 87 octane 10% ethanol in ALL of my machines (cars, trucks, tractors, lawn mowers, garden tractors, snow blowers, chainsaws, weedeaters, power washer, ice auger, etc... ), since the early 80's.... and I keep my vehicles until they rust apart. So this is a long-time study on my part. I've had exactly ONE 20 cent fuel line go bad in ONE chainsaw in 37 years. The only one I ever treat with Stabil is my generator. And it sits for years with the same fuel in it.... and it starts every time.

Bottom line is you are wasting money by paying more for non-ethanol fuel when you should probably be adding Stabil to ANY fuel you use in your long-term storage machines, regardless of if it has ethanol or not. ;)