Mowing Best size rotary cutter/bush hog for Kubota BX1870

/ Best size rotary cutter/bush hog for Kubota BX1870 #1  

cmugler

Tractor
kubota l2800
I have been told that the 42" rotary cutter is the best size for my BX1870 such as the land pride RCR 1242 but others recommend a 48". I will be cutting tall grass with some small bush growth for my annual fire clearing in Santa Barbara, Ca. Any recommendations? Thanks

/ Best size rotary cutter/bush hog for Kubota BX1870 #2  
I have been told that the 42" rotary cutter is the best size for my BX1870 such as the land pride RCR 1242 but others recommend a 48". I will be cutting tall grass with some small bush growth for my annual fire clearing in Santa Barbara, Ca. Any recommendations? Thanks

Your BX1870 is Kubota's lowest powered BX with just 13.7 horsepower at the PTO when new. By the time power goes through Rotary Cutter gearbox you will have about 12-horsepower spinning the blades. Not much power.

If you have factory R1/ag tires a 42" Rotary Cutter will just cover your tires tracks. However, as your true cutting width will be around 36" allowing for a 6" overlap, this will not be a big deal, just tedious mowing.

If you intend to cut grass over 14" tall I believe a 48" width Rotary Cutter will bog down often. You can raise the mower to expel the grass, but your BX does not have Postion Control on the Three Point Hitch, to return deck to the original height. You will need to install Check Chains to substitute for the lack of Position Control.

I have been to Santa Barbara often. Most land there is sloped. Is your field on a slope? How rough is the field? A BX has just 9" ground clearance and small wheels which can drop into relatively small holes and ruts.

Regardless of which width you purchase, plan on sharpening the blades regularly.

I suggest buying a 54" or 60" Rotary Cutter for your L2800.

CHECK CHAINS: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ta-b3300su-zerco-check-chains.html?highlight=

Last edited: