Tires Tire Problem on my Zero Turn

/ Tire Problem on my Zero Turn #1  

BoylermanCT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana R2844, New Holland TC29D, Hustler X-One
Would have posted this on the lawnmowerforum.com website, but they seem to be down today.....

My Hustler Raptor SD rear tire keeps going flat. It is a Grassmaster 20x12-10 4 ply tire. It originally went flat when I ran over a screw. Brought it to a tire place, and they put a tube in it for $10. Mowed with it for a few hours, no problem. Used it yesterday for 30 minutes and all of a sudden the same rear tire was completely flat. Took it to tire place, new tube for $10. They could not find what caused it to go flat, no nail etc. Mowed for 30 minutes today and all of a sudden it is completely flat again. Was out the the field a hundred yards from home, so I brought out the big tractor and picked up the mower with the forks and brought it back to the garage. Should have taken a picture of that!

I keep the tires at 12 psi per Hustler's recommendation. I am guessing the tire is collapsing the side wall during a turn maneuver. Could the tube be too narrow for the tire? The receipt just says it is a 10" tube, and it is a 10" rim. Or is 12 psi too low of pressure for a tube (no problem with the other rear tire which is original, and no tube).

So I am guessing it is either increase the psi, find the proper size (extra wide) tube or replace the tire for $80 or so. Any thoughts?

/ Tire Problem on my Zero Turn #2  
12 psi will be enough to swell the tube to the tire. They should have been able to tell you what happened to the first tube. If it had a hole in the tube why didn't they patch it? If the tube was split, then it was too small. There may be something inside the tire causing the tube to fail. The shop that put the tube in should have checked the inside of the tire and the rim.

/ Tire Problem on my Zero Turn #3  
12 psi will be enough to swell the tube to the tire. They should have been able to tell you what happened to the first tube. If it had a hole in the tube why didn't they patch it? If the tube was split, then it was too small. There may be something inside the tire causing the tube to fail. The shop that put the tube in should have checked the inside of the tire and the rim.

Check the rim to see if there is weld flash that is cutting the tube as it expands. First thing you do is mark the tire position relative to the valve stem and dismount the tire. The leak in the tube will tell you where the puncture occurred.

I had a lot of problems with the rim weld splatter after I started putting tubes in my tubeless tires. Sand or grind it smooth and you should be fixed.

/ Tire Problem on my Zero Turn
Thanks Jones. I am going back to the tire shop tomorrow morning. What if the tube they use is narrower than the tire. I cannot locate a tube for a 20x12-10 tire. All of the tubes I can find online are either 20x10-10 (two inches too narrow) or 22x12-10 (2 inches too large). Given my tire is 20x12-10, which one would be the better fit. I will also check with a local Scag / Husqvarna dealer. Last resort will be the Hustler dealer to see if they have a 20x12-10 tube. They are out of the way for me for what I have on my docket for tomorrow!

Thanks ZZVYB6. I'll check the inside of the rim for sharp edges. Too late to mark the tire position. I tried driving the mower back to the house, but the wheel just spun while the tire did not move, so original position is long gone!

/ Tire Problem on my Zero Turn #6  
You should be able to feel the inside of the tire and find something that would wear the tube that quickly. If the tube did not split there is something rubbing a hole in it.

/ Tire Problem on my Zero Turn #7  
Tubeless tires are much more convenient for me. I run slime in my tires on lawn equipment. Usually will add a little if it starts leaking again. If i can see where it is leaking i will push a plug in it. Much easier and cheaper than dismounting a tire and installing a tube.

/ Tire Problem on my Zero Turn #8  
I agree with others about tube size not being the problem. They will adjust more than you might think. Dirt bikers frequently use a front tube (3.00x21) to field repair a rear (4.50x18) in order to carry less junk with them.

/ Tire Problem on my Zero Turn #9  
It's easy to 'pinch' a hole into a tube when mounting small-rimmed (mower) tires. Many won't DIY these as they can be a bear, esp the smaller fronts.

A pinhole in a tube caused by a mounting mishap may hold some air until it's driven on, pointing to it seating/sealing against the tire's inside until then. That's the reason some of us will DIY.

Be sure to put something on any bare metal areas when de-burring a rim. Auto primers are porous, so skip those. A smear of silicone grease or Fluid Film (TM) has worked for me.

Got the wheel back from the tire dealer. Tube had split, so we are chalking it up to defective tube or something went wrong during installation. So the put a new tube in it at no charge. But they did confirm, the tube is for a 20x10 tire, not a 20x12. So if it happens again, I think I will just buy a new tire for $69 and be done with it.

He did show me that you can get mower tires with an anti puncture layer put in by the manufacturer. It is a soft jelly like pad the encases the inside of the tire, and pretty much stops all leaks and punctures. No mess like slime can make.

Picking up free firewood today, and will put the tire back on later this afternoon and resume mowing.