Mowing Rabbits

/ Mowing Rabbits #21  
Um, no. I don't see the point in wiping all living creatures from the area. If I'm not going to eat it, then I'm not going to shoot it. The sole exception is if it becomes a threat. A 'yote trotting across the field is a living animal looking for food. Part of the natural ecosystem. However, that same 'yote trotting across my yard towards my cat is a target looking for ventilation. Big difference.

No flaming. No difference at all. The coyote is just surviving. :)

/ Mowing Rabbits #22  
If you've mowed, you've killed. No exception.

/ Mowing Rabbits #23  
No flaming. No difference at all. The coyote is just surviving. :)

I disagree. So long as it's not bothering me or mine, it's no threat, so I see no need to just blast away indiscriminately and kill it, as was suggested earlier. However, I'll not stand by and watch it devour my cat just because it has to eat. It can do that elsewhere.

/ Mowing Rabbits #24  
A 'yote trotting across the field is a living animal looking for food. Part of the natural ecosystem. However, that same 'yote trotting across my yard towards my cat is a target looking for ventilation. Big difference.

Not a big difference at all. That is you deciding for yourself what your tolerance level is. If you can set your tolerance level where you like it it is just as acceptable for others to set it at the level that they like it even if it is different from yours. That includes not shooting or killing anything to shooting every coyote you see....which is my tolerance level for coyotes as well as beavers and wild hogs.

/ Mowing Rabbits #25  
If I could still get it, I would pre-emptively treat my streams with Vectobac to kill the blackflies before they come after me. I have a thing about stinging/biting bugs, but, as long as they aren't being immediately destructive, or threatening, I tend to let other wildlife be.

/ Mowing Rabbits #26  
as long as they aren't being immediately destructive, or threatening, I tend to let other wildlife be.

That's my point really. We all have our own criteria. When I consider the damage that I have observed _first hand_ done by coyotes, hogs and beavers on my property then they meet your criteria and mine. It is hotly debated but the evidence is mounting that the local coyotes here are attacking and killing calves too.

/ Mowing Rabbits #27  
It is hotly debated but the evidence is mounting that the local coyotes here are attacking and killing calves too.

We have that problem here, too, George. We haven't had any livestock here on our property in several years, so it doesn't directly affect me. It does affect others, though, and coyote hunts are a fairly regular thing in our area.

I get your point, and I'm definitely not going to "flame" you for it. As you said, everyone sets their level of tolerance. My initial reply was against the notion of just "blasting away indiscriminately" and killing everything in sight.

However, back to the original intent of the thread, I've mowed animals, too. It's unfortunate, but it happens. I got a prairie kingsnake a few weeks ago with the rotary mower out in the pasture, but let another get away in time. Just how I am (maybe it's the Buddhist in me).

/ Mowing Rabbits #28  
My brother-in-law and his daughters are cattle farmers. They grow their own hay. Spring is cutting time. This is when there are turkey nests on the ground and whitetail fawns. Often times a fawn will not move (they're 'programmed' not to) and will get hit by the hay mower. He tries so hard to watch out but it still happens from time to time. He isn't a Buddhist, and is a hunter, but it just tears him up. His wife will not run the hay mower because of this.

/ Mowing Rabbits #29  
Yep, and it usually doesn't kill them. I do that with a hammer.

/ Mowing Rabbits #30  
My brother-in-law and his daughters are cattle farmers. They grow their own hay. Spring is cutting time. This is when there are turkey nests on the ground and whitetail fawns. Often times a fawn will not move (they're 'programmed' not to) and will get hit by the hay mower. He tries so hard to watch out but it still happens from time to time. He isn't a Buddhist, and is a hunter, but it just tears him up. His wife will not run the hay mower because of this.

I've heard that there's a way to hang chain in front of the tractor to drag on the ground, and when the chain hits the fawn it will make the fawn jump. Don't know if it works or not.