Sawmill power unit upgrade

/ Sawmill power unit upgrade #1  

Oldpath05

Tractor
none
My son bought a 453 Detroit diesel power unit this past week 2.5k, he's been using a rebuilt 59 GMC 261 six cylinder to power his shingle mill for ten years and has now gotten tied. Something he said I thought was kinda unusual, weight is 1,400 lbs. heavy his loader can barely pick it up, takes 5 gal oil for a oil change and he said it's 2 stroke, thought diesels were 4 stroke, I can never remember what the strokes are call.

20170609_173620.jpg 20170609_173406.jpg20170609_173429.jpg

/ Sawmill power unit upgrade #2  
Detroit diesels were called screaming jimmies because they are/were? 2 strokers

/ Sawmill power unit upgrade #3  
You'll recognize the sound of that 2 stroke once he fire's it up. Many skidders had them along with lot's of older machinery & trucks. FWIW the 4 is the # of cylinders and the 53 is the displacement of each cyl. (c.i). I'm no expert on them but I think they all were "blown". Look for a strange casting involved with intake air that has "GM" embossed into it.Detroit Diesel Grain Truck - YouTube
The best way to turn diesel fuel into noise!

/ Sawmill power unit upgrade #4  
Here's anotherhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es5iyQVUX4o
Wouldn't want to spend all day in one, but music to my ears.

/ Sawmill power unit upgrade #5  
The old Letorneau Electro Stackers down at the mill had V8 Detroits that were turbo and super charged and they ran at high idle all day to generate the 480 3 phase to run everything........nothing like the roar of a Detroit Diesel rolling by. Should of seen them when they blew the supercharger off the top of the engine, all replaced now by a more economical Cummins

Some of the older EMD diesel engines for locomotives had a sprag clutch driven blower that also had a turbo wheel in the exhaust, so the scavenging was engine driven until the exhaust picked up and then was exhaust driven at higher throttle settings.

David

/ Sawmill power unit upgrade #6  
I was told the way you need to drive those Detroit 2-stroke trucks is first take your hand and put it in the door jam and then slam the door on your hand. Because then you are good and pissed off and that is how you need to drive them. Rev the crap out of them and drive angry.

/ Sawmill power unit upgrade #7  
Two stroke diesels are cool. Not like a two stroke gas motor, where you need you add oil to the fuel because the charge lubricates the bottom end on the way to the conclusion chamber, but they do use a blower to move the exhaust out of the cylinder through ports in the side instead of having open valves during an exhaust stroke.

/ Sawmill power unit upgrade #8  
I was told the way you need to drive those Detroit 2-stroke trucks is first take your hand and put it in the door jam and then slam the door on your hand. Because then you are good and pissed off and that is how you need to drive them. Rev the crap out of them and drive angry.

Brings back a memory, when i took the road test for my class 1 had an older Scottish woman for my examiner. The truck had a 6/71 screaming jimmy being on the polite side fluffed a few shifts.

She said to me during the test, you have to drive it like your bloomin mad at it.

Years later I bought an old Michigan loader that had a 4 cylinder jimmy, they're good dependable engines.

/ Sawmill power unit upgrade #9  
Two stroke diesels are cool. Not like a two stroke gas motor, where you need you add oil to the fuel because the charge lubricates the bottom end on the way to the conclusion chamber, but they do use a blower to move the exhaust out of the cylinder through ports in the side instead of having open valves during an exhaust stroke.

The blower pushes air thru intake ports in the cylinder. The exhaust goes out exhaust valves like a 4 cycle engine has.

They're good heavy duty engines. I've run equipment that used them.

/ Sawmill power unit upgrade #10  
The blower pushes air thru intake ports in the cylinder. The exhaust goes out exhaust valves like a 4 cycle engine has.

They're good heavy duty engines. I've run equipment that used them.

****, I got it backwards. Thanks for setting me straight!!