Mowing Anyone lay sod with their tractor?

/ Anyone lay sod with their tractor? #1  

blb078

Silver Member
Tractor
LS 4150HC
I just finished building my house and since I have about an acre of land to get grass I figured the areas around the house I would do with sod and the rest with seed. Anyone lay large rolls of sod with their tractor? Apparenlty there is some sort of attachment that is used to pick up 40 yard rolls to lay it, but the lady didn't know anything about it or even if it went on the front or back of the tractor. But for some reason she said if I'm not use to laying those large rolls then I would just want to get the pallets and do it by hand, which doesn't sound like a good time to me :). So anyone have any experience with this?

Brian

/ Anyone lay sod with their tractor? #2  
I've seen them, never touched them. I recall it being a rather stout skid steer that handled them though. If you've ever picked up a roll of sod by hand, imagine how heavy those big rolls are.

/ Anyone lay sod with their tractor? #3  
I laid some using a bale spear clamped to the block forks with some square U bolts.

P7090017.JPG

P7090019.JPG

P7090020.JPG

Here are some for the 3 point from an image search:

xskid_steer_48inch_roll_sod_roller_attachment_planting_grass_landscaping_united_001.jpg.pagespee.jpg

dominator-anatomy-u1643-fr.jpg

/ Anyone lay sod with their tractor? #4  
I've laid 10 pallets off a trailer by myself in aug before. It wasn't that bad but was only about 4000-4500 sq ft of sod. How much are you thinking about doing? Might be easier to have some buddies over and make a morning out of it and sod the rest. Seems much easier than creating a complicated solution to a one time problem

Brett

/ Anyone lay sod with their tractor? #5  
There are several youtube videos on the subject.