Grain drill assistance

/ Grain drill assistance #1  

mgraham112

Gold Member
Tractor
long 2460 - belarus 250 - JD 4230 - Kioti DK40SE
I picked up this Deere fb b for $100 the other day. Fertilizer box is crap, but the seed box and small seed box are in decent shape. It will also need new seed tubes also, a few chains and lots of oil.. I figured it would be decent yard art if it needs too much repair. The main thing that I'm concerned with is the missing trip clutch mechanism to raise and lower the disc and engage the seed shaft. Right now it's stuck in the lowered/engaged position. Without having one to compare to or much experience with drills, I can't figure out how to disengage it or if I will be able to convert this to hydraulic lift type without the already missing pieces. I guess that worst case is I could make it 3pt. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 20170701_135721.jpgView attachment 51397920170701_122648.jpg20170701_122642.jpg

/ Grain drill assistance #2  
It looks to me like it's already set up for a hydraulic ram (which is missing now). Get yourself a ram from Surplus Center and you'll be ready to go.

Surplus Center

I rebuilt two old Minneapolis Moline P3-6 drills about 10 years ago (10 ft wide, 20 drops, single disc openers, grass boxes included). I used parts from both to make one good drill and a yard ornament. Installed a hydraulic ram to raise and lower the openers.

M5525  drill-1.JPGM5525 drill---3.JPGDrill-6.JPG

Good luck

/ Grain drill assistance
I don't see where a hydraulic ram would hook up to. I would think at least some ears/tabs would be present

/ Grain drill assistance #4  
The bracket out on the tongue is one end and the end of the y bracket behind it a couple feet is the other. FYI parts breakdowns are available online on JDPC web site (john deere parts catalog).

/ Grain drill assistance
The parts diagram helped tremendously. Thank you for that suggestion. Your drill looks great. Nice work

/ Grain drill assistance
Any idea what size cylinder I need for the fb-b? I have tried to search and search and I cannot find any information.

/ Grain drill assistance #7  
I would guess a 2-2 1/2 in would be more than enough. You will need to measure the length needed.

/ Grain drill assistance #8  
As others have said I think you are set up for a hydraulic ram.

Here's what mine looks like.

20160911_131320.jpg
20160911_131336.jpg
20160911_131353.jpg

/ Grain drill assistance
Yes, it is definitely hydraulic with the missing cylinder. I am going to see if I can mount my hydraulic toplink somehow in order to test everything and measure what size I might need.