Oil filter question

/ Oil filter question #1  

shvl73

Banned
Tractor
Mahindra 2810HST
I'm looking to find a Wix/Napa oil filter for my Mahindra 2810HST with the Daedong/Kioti 3A139A-DY1 engine. Wix doesn't list one. Another poster has suggested the 51626 filter has been used by others but it has a by-pass valve PSI of 8-11. Posters on the Kioti forum have used the 51182 filter which has a by-pass valve PSI of 24. Both filters have similar specs otherwise, gasket O.D.-I.D.-thickness, diameter, thread size, with the 51182 being 1-1/2" +- longer (more filter media) which won't be an issue. Anyone have some knowledge of the by-pass valve setting or a way to find out or should I just bite the bullet & get them from the dealer (less convenient than a local parts store).

/ Oil filter question #3  
Pardon me for this, but I just don't understand why people are always trying to skimp a little on oil filters, the heart, liver and kidneys of a tractor. Most "will fits" are just that. They'll fit, or nearly, but they don't always do exactly the same job the OEM does. You should be able to buy that filter from Kioti or the Mahindra dealer, and in my case, they were cheap. If it's inconvenient, buy several and you only have to make a trip every few hundred hours. I spent pretty good money for my tractor and have no problem using original equipment, and my dealer is 35 miles down the road. I can even call them and they'll have them shipped to me in a couple of days. John

/ Oil filter question #4  
<font color="blue"> Pardon me for this, but I just don't understand why people are always trying to skimp a little on oil filters, the heart, liver and kidneys of a tractor. </font>

I know my motivation would be driven because I want to change my oil and filter every 50 hours. I think the engine oil filter for my Kubota costs something like $14 now. That is about double what the oil costs for Shell RotillaT.

Now the manufacturer recommends oil changes at 100 hours and filter changes at 200 hours (if I remember right). At $14 per filter, I guess I will be forced to follow the manufacturer's recommendations at least as far as filters go. I will still change the oil every fifty hours though...

I guess there are those that want to do it as cheap as possible at the right intervals and those that want to exceed the manufacurer's specs, but are not encouraged to do better than best, when filters cost so much...

That is my take on it anyway.

/ Oil filter question #5  
I have to agree with John. For the small price of filters it's not worth compromising OEM quality for your needs. Have your dealer UPS the filters to you and you will have more "peace of mind" knowing that your equipment is protected like the manufacturer intended it to be.

/ Oil filter question
My feeling is the OEM filter is made by an unkown manufacturer to an unknown quality. Not every manufacturer specs every component to be the very best that can be obtained. I'm sure some components are purchased because they meet the minimum quality level at an appropriate cost. Wix is regarded as a quality filter manufacturer (vs. Fram for instance) . If I can get the best product, I will. That it may be at a lower cost is obviously better, adding the convienence of multiple sources with later hours of operation & it's just a further benefit. At least thats what I was aiming for.

/ Oil filter question #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My feeling is the OEM filter is made by an unkown manufacturer to an unknown quality. Not every manufacturer specs every component to be the very best that can be obtained. I'm sure some components are purchased because they meet the minimum quality level at an appropriate cost. Wix is regarded as a quality filter manufacturer (vs. Fram for instance) . If I can get the best product, I will. That it may be at a lower cost is obviously better, adding the convienence of multiple sources with later hours of operation & it's just a further benefit. )</font>

I agree. I buy Wix, Napa or Purolator filters with confidence. I won't touch anything else, except Toyota filters for my truck--when and if they are on sale.

Napa filters are made by Wix. Their part number is a subset of the Wix number, according to the counter guy at the local Napa store. A cursory glance at the cross reference charts indicates he is correct.

SnowRidge

/ Oil filter question #8  
Boy.. I see fram is the red-headed stepchild of filters.. just about every sub here kicks it around...

Considering ford specced fram filters for their N series tractor line that has been around since 39.. that can't suck too bad.

I've used a fram c3 or c3-p ( better ) on my N-series tractors for years now... In fact.. the c3-p looks as good as the aftermarket no-name filters you can get at 'restoration' sites.. and looks better than the filter available at NH dealers (ford ).. A napa 1010gold does look a bit better than the fram c3-p though.

That said, the fram filter for my IH cub is the same deal.. fram looks better than the case supplied filter.. but the napa looks better..

Obviously some one/group has had a bad experience with a fram filter and it has really spread. Have I just been luck that that specific filter just happens to be good or does anyone have the 'real' story on this.

Soundguy

/ Oil filter question #9  
Soundguy:

Wish I could answere the question as I used only Fram for many years. Got a Dodge Cummins and was told any damage caused by use of a fram filter would not be covered under warranty.

About 15 years ago a friend who was an instructor at a technical college asked the auto dept. about Fram filters. The answere indicated Fram made three filter grades. The chain store variety of lowest quality. Next a very good filter and finally one which was capable of even removing some of the oil additives. Long time ago and things change.

Sure would like to see a proper lab report on filters.

Egon

/ Oil filter question #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sure would like to see a proper lab report on filters)</font>

There was an independent engine oil filter study done around 2001, reportedly by a fellow named Russ Knize. His webpage is no longer accessible (at least to me), but the results are archived here
Engine Oil Filter Study

One of the interesting observations was that filters manufactured by the same company, but branded differently are oftentime very different in construction. So the conventional wisdom of "I'll buy filter X, since it is cheaper than filter Y, and they are both made by the same company" may not always be the best poilcy.

For example, the Mobil-1 filter is made by Champion, but its construction is unique and not at all like the Champion branded filters.

I haven't seen any more recent, nor more scientific study of filters. Has anyone else?