Ford 1510 newb: What first?

/ Ford 1510 newb: What first? #1  

jingalsb

Tractor
Ford 1510
I just purchased my first tractor. A Ford 1510 with a pto driven mower. It is in wonderful shape. I have the operator's manual and have gone through it page by page. I am wondering if the experts on this forum could start me down the right path of ownership. What is the first thing that I should do in terms of making sure this thing is taken care of and will last a long time? Looking foward to any advice that you all have.

/ Ford 1510 newb: What first? #2  
Have any documentation on oil change and other maintenance? If not concider to reset all by doing a full service.

/ Ford 1510 newb: What first?
Thanks for the quick reply Agvg! All the service was performed by a local Ford shop but I don't have records of what was performed or when (yet). When you say "full service" what do you mean? The operators manual has maintenance and service tasks to do when you hit a certain number of hours. e.g. engine oil every 100 hours, fuel filter every 200 hours. Should I just do everything that it says up to the current hours on the tractor?

/ Ford 1510 newb: What first? #4  
Take a talk to the shop, you may be able to get a copy of what have been done.

I was thinking of at least engine oil change, oil and diesel filter service.
If you have a dry air filter check it, if it's oil bath clean it.

/ Ford 1510 newb: What first? #5  
Reading the manual was the first thing I'd suggest and you already did that.

If the service records you can obtain don't include hydraulic oil and filter change consider doing that as well. Depends on how well you think the seller kept to the maintenance schedule. Grease all the fittings especially the center pivot. Check and perform any adjustments that need doing like clutch or brake travel. Often those get left alone when they are out of spec because the owner's used to how they work.

/ Ford 1510 newb: What first? #6  
Even with records I would still probably do:

Oil change + filter
Air filter(if it's like our 1500, it's oil bath and really quick to change)
Grease every zerk/grease point listed in the manual.

How man hours on the the meter?

/ Ford 1510 newb: What first? #7  
That tractor is no longer supported by Ford.
Chinese co. that made it is out of business.
Good place to find parts or at least part numbers is New Holland Parts | Buy Online & Save

Many filters are used on many other tractors with Chinese diesel motors.
I get part numbers from Messicks & then go to the internet to find a better price or the part if Messicks doesn't have it.
(EBay is your friend)

Hr. meter only goes to 999 so you really have no idea how many hrs it really has.

What do you intend to use it for?
What type tires does it have?
I have only had mine for 1 yr now (100 hrs) and so far, I am happy with it as a replacement for my 9N.
Primary duty... my riding lawn mower. Mid mount mower.
It also runs a back blade, landscape rake, wood chipper, 3 pt 6' finish mower, 5' Bush Hog type mower boom pole for working in the woods & a front mount plow off an atv.
Service schedule is also on the fuel tank so I would just go from there and do service as it comes due.
Keep the screen in front of the radiator clean, it clogs up easy and overheats .

Most questions you have, I won't be able to answer but I'll try.

/ Ford 1510 newb: What first? #8  
That tractor is no longer supported by Ford.
Chinese co. that made it is out of business.

From TractorData.com it was actually built by Shibaura who built most Ford and New Holland CUTs. They are great engines and the tractors are well bullt. Some parts may be difficult to get from a dealer due to age, but it is no different than John Deere (try getting parts fopr a JD 850 of the same vintage). You may be able to get filters from auto parts stores. BTW, I would also suggest changing the hydraulic filter. I had a little 15 hp Shibaura and it was tough as nails.

Here is what is listed on TractorData

Ford 1510
Ford 1510 tractor photo
1983 - 1986 Ten Compact Series
Compact Utility tractor
Previous model: Ford 1500
Next model: New Holland 1520
Ford 1520
Series next: Ford 1710
Series back: Ford 1310

Production:
Distributor: Ford
Manufacturer: Shibaura
Factory: Japan

Original price (USD)
$8,000 (1986 )

/ Ford 1510 newb: What first? #9  
From TractorData.com it was actually built by Shibaura who built most Ford and New Holland CUTs. They are great engines and the tractors are well bullt. Some parts may be difficult to get from a dealer due to age, but it is no different than John Deere (try getting parts fopr a JD 850 of the same vintage). You may be able to get filters from auto parts stores. BTW, I would also suggest changing the hydraulic filter. I had a little 15 hp Shibaura and it was tough as nails.

Ford 1510
Ford 1510 tractor photo
Compact Utility tractor
Ford 1520

Production:

Original price (USD)
$8,000 (1986 )

Yup, they're Japan made our 1500 Shibaura is clearly stamped Made in Japan, your 1510 should be similar.

/ Ford 1510 newb: What first? #10  

Ford 1510
Ford 1510 tractor photo
Compact Utility tractor
Ford 1520

Production:

Original price (USD)
$8,000 (1986 )

OK, I concede, it was made in Japan not China.
Ford New Holland still doesn't stock parts.