Getting rid of Wasp

/ Getting rid of Wasp #1  

ch47dpilot

Gold Member
Tractor
07 Kubota L3400
I live in SE Alabama and have only ran into a few hornet and yellow jacket nest. Mostly I get red or paper wasp. My issue is I have most of my equipment under cover but still exposed to nature. If I don't use something like my tractor, dozer or trailer for a week or 2 I have to do a walk around with a can of spray. Is there anything I can do to deter them from building. Last weekend I didn't realize they built a nest in my dozer radiator until I started it up and the fan blew them out. They were not happy. I haven't tried anything yet since I'm at a total loss on how to make them want to live somewhere else.

/ Getting rid of Wasp #3  
I am going to try the paper bag trick.

I have gone though 4 cans of wasp and hornet spray this year.
I have tried many brands. Lots knock them down put when they build their nest inside an implement, I can not always get to the nest.
They have a nest inside the squire tube on my boxblade right now that I have been working on. There are 12 holes they come out of. I can't get close enough to kill them all.
I have learned to use Ortho Home Defense spray also. It leaves a residue that kills them and/or keeps them from coming back.

/ Getting rid of Wasp #4  
I use Drione desiccant with pyrethrum. It's a dust that I puff on wasps, bees, etc out of a turkey baster looking thing. What's nice about it is that the wasps don't seem to care about the dust for maybe 10-20 seconds, allowing me time to get a little distance. It also navigates through closed spaces like my tractor loader cross brace tubes and inside the arms where the hydraulic lines are routed.
I think I will try the bag trick on my front porch and maybe the RV trailer if I can make one that can get wet.

/ Getting rid of Wasp #5  
I use Bifen mixed in water and spray it under soffits, in door jambs, along ceiling corners in the barn and shed. That proactively controls 95% of my pest wasps, with a single spray. It has no scent, is water based, and doesn't stain. It lasts for at least a month, but some years a single spray is enough. I buy it from the domyownpestcontrol website. Permethrin works too, and it kills them faster, but only lasts a week or two.

/ Getting rid of Wasp #8  
They last for about 1 - 2 years. I just bought some more and will try some outdoor fabric protector to extend their life. A paper one would not last more than a week or two here. I have also thought of just making my own.

/ Getting rid of Wasp #9  
I didn't believe this until I tried it, but an old farmer told me to put some dishwashing liquid in water and throw it on them. He said they drop dead on the ground instantly. At first I thought he was pulling my leg to watch me get swarmed, but he said it straight as could be. Since I had a big wad of wasp nest near a water spigot and no spray handy, I tried it. Darn things dropped faster than all my years of shooting them with expensive wasp and hornet spray. Now I throw some Dawn and water in a sprayer and nuke 'em anytime I want.

Not to beat the function of the decoy nests, but I thought it was a great trick and I still don't know how it works so well.

/ Getting rid of Wasp #10  
I didn't believe this until I tried it, but an old farmer told me to put some dishwashing liquid in water and throw it on them. He said they drop dead on the ground instantly. At first I thought he was pulling my leg to watch me get swarmed, but he said it straight as could be. Since I had a big wad of wasp nest near a water spigot and no spray handy, I tried it. Darn things dropped faster than all my years of shooting them with expensive wasp and hornet spray. Now I throw some Dawn and water in a sprayer and nuke 'em anytime I want.

Not to beat the function of the decoy nests, but I thought it was a great trick and I still don't know how it works so well.

This does work good. I usually have quart spray bottle of a squirt of dawn and water around my shop to clean up things and spray paper wasp nests in the corners of overhead doors. It kills them so fast sometimes they don't even fall off.