Tires Flat proof tires - on compact tractors... good idea or bad?

/ Flat proof tires - on compact tractors... good idea or bad? #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
When will we see the flat proof tires offered on new compact tractors? Or do some compact tractors already have them available? Or is that a bad idea? I personally haven't seen any compact tractors with them myself, but today I did see a new John Deere ZTR mower on a trailer that had flat proof tires with an "all terrain" type tread pattern on the two drive wheels. That got me to thinking... It seems like they might be the way to go for CUT's, no flats and they give good service life. The only "drawback", if you want to call it that, is you can't load them up with liquid ballast like normal tires. I have no idea what they would cost in the size used for most CUT's, but would they be cost prohibitive? The picture is a back hoe with flat proof tires on it, that I pulled off of the internet just for an example. What are your thoughts?

53x14-24_rear_&_33x12-16_front_(3) flat proof tires.jpg

/ Flat proof tires - on compact tractors... good idea or bad? #2  
I think tractor tires are probably like new car tires.

Detroit only cares that tires for new cars are black, round and cheap.

If cheap enough, the other two points are not critical.

In seven years with R4/industrial tires on three separate tractors I have never experienced a flat.
Have you experienced flats?

The Florida Forest Service does have some armored tractors equipped with flat proof tires for pulling fire plows.

Last edited:
   / Flat proof tires - on compact tractors... good idea or bad? #3  
With pneumatic tires the true "wheels of modern civilization", I don't think "flat proof" has a real foot to stand on. If I worked in a land fill, I may think the flat proof technology a true god send.

/ Flat proof tires - on compact tractors... good idea or bad? #4  
I don't think it's that big of a problem unless you're working demolition.

/ Flat proof tires - on compact tractors... good idea or bad? #5  
Don't they have foam filling for tires?

/ Flat proof tires - on compact tractors... good idea or bad? #6  
I've got a Fordson E27n that is used to push snow when the winter calls for it. The original rear tires haul the chains around for traction.

That's a 1950 model/ Hmm 67 years on the same air... I can't think that a flat tired SCUT would even show on he statistical radar.

/ Flat proof tires - on compact tractors... good idea or bad? #7  
These are not "flat proof" that you are referring to but pretty darn near close. I purchased a set of fronts for my 4610 SU from them several years ago and have yet to flat one brush hogging. I don't know if they carry sizes for smaller tractors but I have been extremely pleased with the results.

Gensco Tire. Home of the no flat aircraft tire.

/ Flat proof tires - on compact tractors... good idea or bad?
I think tractor tires are probably like new car tires.

Detroit only cares that tires for new cars are black, round and cheap.

If cheap enough, the other two points are not critical.

In seven years with R4/industrial tires on three separate tractors I have never experienced a flat.
Have you experienced flats?

The Florida Forest Service does have some armored tractors equipped with flat proof tires for pulling fire plows.

Yes, I ran over a green glass beer bottle mowing with the bush hog and it broke underneath the front left tire and punctured it. It was cut too bad to plug it, so they had to put a tube in it. The front tire on the other side has a slow leak in it, if I let it sit long enough without using the tractor, it will leak down. Oddly enough, it seems like as long as I use the tractor at least once a week, it doesn't leak down.

/ Flat proof tires - on compact tractors... good idea or bad? #9  
You show bar tires, R1s on your tractor. These are usually four ply; the suppleness of four ply give the best grip/traction. R1s are also available in six ply and I have read here, in eight ply.

R4/indurstrial tires are at least six ply usually, sometimes eight ply stock on tractors and are available with layers of Kevlar fabric, if you can stand the high price. R4s may be available in ten and twelve ply.

/ Flat proof tires - on compact tractors... good idea or bad? #10  
What about quality of ride. 6 ply industrials are bad enough. Can't imagine what your back would say to flat proof, however it's achieved. I bought some of the sort for one of my ZTs caster wheels up front. Considering that I usually run my air pressure <10 psig, they were like rolling with rocks.