Regarding 4x4...

/ Regarding 4x4... #41  
I also agree with N80 and Ortimber. Ive owned several 4WD tractors... never had an issue with it locked in. On road or off.. I might add the tires are all loaded and rear weights... with all having FEL. Sometimes I carry loads off road and on ... never a problem except for some tire wear. As for my trucks 4WD when needed re guard less of situation. 4WD is to be used not saved... if it's a good machine it will stand it ... I've put 1000s of hours on my units... I think some of you guys worry for nothing... it's built to use! Just my opinion

/ Regarding 4x4... #42  
The only downside to using 4wd all the time, that I can think of, is front tire wear. The fronts on my tractor are slightly overdriven compared to the rears. Leaving it in 4wd probably adds a miniscule amount of extra wear. But in ten years of being in 4wd all the time, my fronts have easily got another 5-10 years of wear on them. Plus, when in 2wd and turning tightly the fronts will often 'plow' so that is some degree of additional wear (and poor handling) you get from running just in 2wd.

Moral of the story: do what seems best....except using 4wd on pavement...........especially if your fronts are slightly overdriven like mine.

I agree. There may well be somewhat more wear on the fronts when you use 4WD all the time, but after 18 years when my fronts were getting pretty worn they were also pretty rotted, So when one went flat I replaced them. I have no way of knowing whether they would have been less worn if I'd used 2WD more, they would have needed replacing anyway.